Jump to content
Stake Forum
Kargai

What are you currently reading?

Featured Comment

Just finished "The Zahir" by Paulo Coelho.

@Carollzinha with her post make me remember that I had this one in my box of 200+ more unreaded books, so it was the excuse to read it ;)

Not bad at all, even if not of the same level of "The Alchemist". But not so far neither, i really enjoyed the reading and the questions who came as the story unfolds.

the-zahir.jpg?w=1400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice @Kargai !

I'm planning to read this one some time in the future, still plenty of time to do that. :P

I'm currently reading "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.

image.png.6e482e159f282decfc4dd72c94e7ccb6.png

I'm also reading "The Green Mile". The same goes for "The Prince" and "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer". I hope I will finish at least some of these. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Green Mile" is a great one. "The Prince" is it the one by Machiavel ? If yes i read it too and i liked it ;)

I have "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in a box, still have not taken the time to read it. Don't know the last one "Perfume" ;)

3 minutes ago, SuddenlyBroke said:

The how to read a book, book is a great book, and will help you get good at reading, it's quite long for a how to read a book, book, though! =D

--

This was a great book =)

image.png.cdc93b22350c53a585d4ef93e4ffaf2a.png

Didn't read it by I saw the movie from it with Nicolas Cage a long time ago, was nice ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kargai said:

"The Green Mile" is a great one. "The Prince" is it the one by Machiavel ? If yes i read it too and i liked it ;)

I have "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in a box, still have not taken the time to read it. Don't know the last one "Perfume" ;)

Yup, @Kargai , the one written by Machiavelli. I'm still at the very beginning of the book, but I'm looking forward to reading it in whole.

About the "Perfume", you may find a bit out about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(novel). There's also a movie, but the ending of the movie...it's just...over-exaggerated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Katarina said:

Yup, @Kargai , the one written by Machiavelli. I'm still at the very beginning of the book, but I'm looking forward to reading it in whole.

About the "Perfume", you may find a bit out about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(novel). There's also a movie, but the ending of the movie...it's just...over-exaggerated.

Oohhhhhh yes I remember the "Perfume" now, i saw some of the real film scenery in The Miniature and Cinema Museum of my city ! Didn't remember that before you send me the Wikipedia's link :P

2017-11-19_20h56_28.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite writer is Robert Ludlum as I prefer political thrillers, conspiracy and stuff like that. :) Have also read books from Dan Brown, David Morrell and couple others but Ludlum is still number one for me. The Matarese Circle is my favorite Ludlum book. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dan said:

Has anyone read the Alchemist? One of my favs there, @Kargai I tried reading The Gunslinger but it was so hard to digest.

Yes read The Alchemist and really liked it. I read 4-5 other books of Coelho but found them less interesting.

If you liked it maybe you can take a look at "The Prophet" by Khalid Gibran and "Siddartha" by Herman Hesse, they are in the same literary vein.

I read The Gunslinger like 3 times, I really like it but I can understand it's hard to digest. The Stephen King's style is not really succint and the world he describe in itself is already complicated (without even counting the psychology of all the characters, but that's usual for King ^^). Maybe try the comic book ? (even if it's a long shot before they end it)

2 minutes ago, Darko said:

My favorite writer is Robert Ludlum as I prefer political thrillers, conspiracy and stuff like that. :) Have also read books from Dan Brown, David Morrell and couple others but Ludlum is still number one for me. The Matarese Circle is my favorite Ludlum book. :)

I read The Da Vinci Code and Inferno from Dan Brown, and have the first 3 Jason Bourne of Ludlum (but still don't read it, watched the movies to safe some times :p). I'll add The Matarese Circle to my wishlist. :) Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read a few Ban Brown, but only really enjoyed the da vinci code. 1984 and Animal Farm were great reads by Orwell.

My favourite book series is written by an Australian author named John Marsden, and starts with "Tomorrow when the War Began." Really loved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan said:

I have read a few Ban Brown, but only really enjoyed the da vinci code. 1984 and Animal Farm were great reads by Orwell.

My favourite book series is written by an Australian author named John Marsden, and starts with "Tomorrow when the War Began." Really loved it.

The Da Vinci Code was the first book by Dan Brown that I did read and after that I started to read all his book I could find here in local stores (Angels & Demons, The Lost Symbol, Inferno and Origin) and I really loved them all.. but the Da Vinci Code is still my favorite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan said:

I have read a few Ban Brown, but only really enjoyed the da vinci code. 1984 and Animal Farm were great reads by Orwell.

My favourite book series is written by an Australian author named John Marsden, and starts with "Tomorrow when the War Began." Really loved it.

Just read what the books of Marsden are about, seem great. Added at my wishlist ;) Thanks Dan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kargai said:

Yes read The Alchemist and really liked it. I read 4-5 other books of Coelho but found them less interesting.

If you liked it maybe you can take a look at "The Prophet" by Khalid Gibran and "Siddartha" by Herman Hesse, they are in the same literary vein.

I read The Gunslinger like 3 times, I really like it but I can understand it's hard to digest. The Stephen King's style is not really succint and the world he describe in itself is already complicated (without even counting the psychology of all the characters, but that's usual for King ^^). Maybe try the comic book ? (even if it's a long shot before they end it)

I read The Da Vinci Code and Inferno from Dan Brown, and have the first 3 Jason Bourne of Ludlum (but still don't read it, watched the movies to safe some times :p). I'll add The Matarese Circle to my wishlist. :) Thanks

Movies and book - very different. You will see when you read the books. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SuddenlyBroke It is a very, let's say, lovely book. The one to read when you want to relax after a hectic day. It so unusual and sometimes I don't really understand what the writer wanted to depict, but it's very light and easy to digest. :) I recommend. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2017 at 4:29 AM, Dan said:

@Kargai thanks for the suggestions, just got the following two books off goodreads for free :)

 

Woaw, congrats. Life changing books for free, good deal ;)

Being more close to the buddhist philosophy than muslim and catholic religions "Siddharta" had the biggest impact on me out of those 3, but all are really valuable spiritualy imho. I don't believe you'll regret to read them ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kargai said:

Woaw, congrats. Life changing books for free, good deal ;)

Being more close to the buddhist philosophy than muslim and catholic religions "Siddharta" had the biggest impact on me out of those 3, but all are really valuable spiritualy imho. I don't believe you'll regret to read them ^^

Just finishing my current book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18599748-guy-in-real-life and then I plan to dive into the two you suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Maurice Druon - Les mémoires de Zeus (in french). 

Unfortunatly there is not a lot of Druon's books who were translated in english (except "The Accursed Kings" serie in 7 books) and it's a little shame IMHO. I agree it's a little old fashioned and academical (even in french) but the content is really great. He's Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters in France, received the Prix Goncourt, etc.

This one is dedicated to the Olympian's Gods and is a rewrite of the events starting from the creation of Earth until the death of Alexander the Great. Everything is told by Zeus himself and he explained why and how major events happened. Really nice to read, just maybe a little too long (500+ pages, 450 couls have made the job) 

9782811201685.jpg.5a4df460770c3bb9cc6a3064192683b5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×