Stake Forum
williamshennie9

Splitting 8's

Featured Comment

Heya guys :)

I know you are technically supposed to split 8's regardless of what the dealer's up card is (except if it is an Ace), but is this really the best move? I mean, if the dealer has a 10, and I have 88, splitting it would give me two hands of 18 at the best. And then the dealer will most likely get 20, thus losing double my money.

What do you guys think about this? Do you religiously split 8's, or do you hit/stand 88 if the dealer has an A,9, or 10? Let's discuss below :)

I like to play a mix of basic strategy and gut instinct on BJ. Would mostly depend on bet size but if the dealer had 10 against my pair 8s I'm more likely to just hit than to split or even stand if I feel unlucky.

What would you do Shennie? :)

Edited by David

Always split aces and eights.  You split 8's because they give you 16, a crappy hand to hit but one that will lose to any dealer non bust.  Better to take the chance of splitting them, besides, if you get a 3 you get to double down on your 11 for triple money!

However, the real point is to have fun, if you don't want to split your 8's don't, that's one of the nice things about playing at stake, no annoying on lookers to critique your play!

Definitely a good idea to split 8s when you are dealt with it. Having a hand total of 16 is non very beneficial in your favor at all!

yes specially i think the dealer stops when he has a 16 or higher card so your only cahnce of winning is if he goes over 21. which is a high risk one since he can stop anywhere in between 16 and 21. so you either lose or get a tie. those have a high odds of the results.

so yeah i highly suggest to split on 88 too. since it will give you more chances of winning.

On 10/14/2018 at 1:29 AM, williamshennie9 said:

Heya guys :)

I know you are technically supposed to split 8's regardless of what the dealer's up card is (except if it is an Ace), but is this really the best move? I mean, if the dealer has a 10, and I have 88, splitting it would give me two hands of 18 at the best. And then the dealer will most likely get 20, thus losing double my money.

What do you guys think about this? Do you religiously split 8's, or do you hit/stand 88 if the dealer has an A,9, or 10? Let's discuss below :)

Depends on the dealer card, if the dealer card got 8/9/10 then just go normal hit but if the dealer card is 4/5/6, you can go double.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:15 PM, Etude said:

Definitely a good idea to split 8s when you are dealt with it. Having a hand total of 16 is non very beneficial in your favor at all!

id have to disagree, it depends on what the dealer has etude,
dont you think so?                                

7 minutes ago, Shaniqua said:

id have to disagree, it depends on what the dealer has etude,
dont you think so?                                

Agreed, it depends on the dealer card *imo but i rarely split 8. I only split A's.

7 hours ago, jualid said:

Agreed, it depends on the dealer card *imo but i rarely split 8. I only split A's.

Yeah, If the dealer has a 9 or 10 or Ace, I really think it is a bad decision to split 88, I think you will just lose twice as much as you would have lost if you just hit or stood.