Stake Community
wry

Two New Privacy Coins - Grin and Beam

Featured Comment

One of the things that originally attracted me to Bitcoin was the anonymity of it.  You don't have to be linked to your address.  Of course, it wound up not being as private as many thought and so some more privacy focused coins were created.  Monero was one of the first, and I checked it out, but it has pretty high transaction fees.  Zcoin also seems to have some potential.

However, I've been reading about two new privacy coins based on something called mimblewimble.  A privacy protocol originally designed for Bitcoin that is ironically named after a Harry Potter spell.

One of the new coins, named Beam, just launched and has already had to have its users reinstall their wallets because of some vulnerability.  The other, Grin, is launching shortly.  I like some features of each but they also have some drawbacks.  Beam is a bit corporate while Grin has no limit ever on its number of coins.  Here's a link to an article about them (note the dates for launching are no longer correct):  https://www.coindesk.com/grin-and-beam-a-tale-of-two-coins-being-built-on-mimblewimble

Currently what are your preferred privacy focused coins and do you think either Grin or Beam will catch on in the marketplace?

But tbm you can use the pundix is a good coin and is private to what I was reading and the fees is very comfortable does not exceed 0.01 usd but you can also use vertcoin is also good currency very fast and is private the best of it

It seems these types of coins need more work and testing before they are introduced to the marketplace. As you said with Beam, the fact that a vulnerability was discovered, when this coin is supposed to be a privacy coin, makes me hesitant to get involved in buying any of them now. Anonymity is not super important to everyone, since I would assume most people don't do shady transactions, and therefore a high level of anonymity is not really a top priority for them.