Stake Forum
wry

Google Forces Samourai Wallet to Remove Features

Featured Comment

While I've grown accustomed to governments cracking down on Bitcoin and its related services I found this development pretty disturbing.  Google has forced Samourai wallet to remove three of its privacy features from its most recent version.  Basically these features, which had been part of the wallet since 2015, enhanced the security and secrecy of the users who used their wallet.  Apparently, Google took exception to these features and as part of its new "walled garden" approach to apps that appear in its PlayStore.

It looks like there is still a way to get the wallet with the features, but it is much more complicated than simply loading something from the Play store and I did not see a link to step by step directions though I'm sure they exist.

Anyway, seemed like sad news to me, though I am now VERY interested in the Samourai wallet, maybe I'll check it out, too bad it doesn't do alt coins!

Link to the news article:  https://www.coindesk.com/google-policy-change-forces-bitcoin-wallet-to-remove-security-features

Link to Samourai Wallet blog post that explains the value of the lost features:  https://blog.samouraiwallet.com

This is interesting and introduced to the existence of this Samourai wallet too, I would like to give it a try now. :)

10 hours ago, Etude said:

This is interesting and introduced to the existence of this Samourai wallet too, I would like to give it a try now. :)

I had heard of it before but never investigated it seriously. 

After looking into it, a few things held me up.  First it's Android only.  I'm not above Android only wallets, but I already use Coinomi and Coinomi is multi currency as well.  Second, for some reason Samourai removed any links to fiat (national currency) values from its app.  So if you have .0123 BTC in your wallet, it wont tell you what that  is worth in say GBP.  They claimed to do this for some kind of Bitcoin purity reason, but frankly, I like knowing what my BTC is worth.  Even when it's depressing and the amount keeps going down.  Third, the wallet makes you set a 12 word passphrase, a 5 to 8 digit PIN, AND a 12 word back up phrase.  I'm not going to keep enough BTC on a phone I carry around everywhere to merit me keeping track of all that.  I like freedom, it's one of the things that attracted me to Bitcoin in the first place, I shouldn't have to set anything other than the back up phrase if I don't want to.

However, if I did carry all my BTC around with me, then it would be a very strong choice!

Let me know what you think!

Well thats sad and google being a well known company that I know never thought would missuse their power like this The app devs do pay a fee for their app to be put on the playstore and they should be able to put any security they want. 

Sounds to me like this might be a wallet for those who have quit a bit of bitcoin.  I feel the same as you Wry in that I don't want to have a 12 word back up phrase and such just to get to my bitcoin. I don't have enough bitcoin to keep it guarded like fort knox lol.