Stake Community
Kate

Coinbase decides to F**k me up

Featured Comment

Ok i don't know if you guys know i am or was a big fan of the online wallet called Coinbase and i used to promote or tell good things about it in the forum under different threads. Well this time i am not promoting or telling any nice things about it but a bit of an odd thing they had done. Yup Coinbase made an oopsie. So yesterday when i was about to leave for a party with my Family i didn't have balance in my Phone and i needed to recharge i usually recharge through a site called BitRefill where you can recharge your phones with Bitcoin and there is an option for Payment with Coinbase so it doesn't cost any fees and is instant well when i logged in and approved everything and went to pay for it from Coinbase there was a message that said that my account was deleted but although i could withdraw my funds and the reason was because i was involved in some fraudlent activity and i don;t know what i did which was fraudulent. They also said to withdraw my bitcoins before closing or else it will be gone and thanks goodness Stake was there i deposited into Stake and am waiting for an answer from coinbase regarding this. 

Summary : Coinbase deletes my account and says i have done some fraudulent activities which made them to delete it. 

Also since @DarkBlood069 uses coinbase. Did this anytime happen to you ? 

Unfortunately they are known for blocking users sending funds to gambling sites as it's against their terms of service:

APPENDICES

APPENDIX 1: PROHIBITED USE, PROHIBITED BUSINESSES AND CONDITIONAL USE

Prohibited Use

[...]Gambling: Lotteries; bidding fee auctions; sports forecasting or odds making; fantasy sports leagues with cash prizes; internet gaming; contests; sweepstakes; games of chance

5 hours ago, firenine said:

Unfortunately they are known for blocking users sending funds to gambling sites as it's against their terms of service:

Didn't know this but how can Coinbase even know that i send Bitcoin to a Gamble site ? Bitcoin addresses aren't publicly shown to whom they belong to right ? So how do they know ? 

50 minutes ago, Kate said:

Didn't know this but how can Coinbase even know that i send Bitcoin to a Gamble site ? Bitcoin addresses aren't publicly shown to whom they belong to right ? So how do they know ? 

They use blockchain transaction tracking services to monitor their users and "their" coins. They really act like a traditional bank.

9 hours ago, firenine said:

This!  Exactly, they are very well known for this.  There have been countless threads on Bitcointalk about them doing this for several years.  While I'm sure Stake makes some effort to not clearly be sending from a gambling site if you use it frequently they will catch you.

As @firenine points out, they act a lot like a traditional bank, which makes sense since they are based in the USA and so apply US rules and regulations.  US financial repression gets worse and worse and I think will really help Bitcoin in the long run.  In the meantime, run your gambling site withdrawals through some more legitimate (in Coinbase's eyes) place, either a wallet you control fully or an exchange or something.

Good Luck!

That sucks, ive been using Coinbase for a while and have had no problems with them, so far (knocks on wood). The only thing i wish is that they stop with the BS and accept Visa/Mastercard Giftcards.. Theyve already verified our identify, whats their problem with prepaid giftcards??? ok nevermind i have had problems, accept my gift cards coinbase!

I had been blocked before, but they actually breached their own terms of service in the past which I threatened to send them to court for. I told them to stop putting their nose into my privacy business and to release my account, they then decide to go on the upper hand to try and prosecute me. However, I actually provided evidence that I was piling up against them. For some reason, all of a sudden, they released my account and said "we apologise for any inconvenience, your account restrictions have been lifted, you may continue to use our services".

It's funny really, when you think about it - right? If they want to mess with you, always have something very promising for them.

However, I'm not advising this at all for anyone, this was a very long time ago.

1 hour ago, DarkBlood069 said:

they released my account and said "we apologise for any inconvenience, your account restrictions have been lifted, you may continue to use our services".

Major props for standing up to them and getting your account back!  Well done!  

I totally agree they should not be so aggressive and intrusive about things.

There was also an experience from other user (local exchange here though) that they closed the account. If they suspect something against their policy like deposits in gambling sites they would really put an action to that. So maybe that is one reason for you too. I guess it would be better to transfer first in a trading sites before going to your coinbase wallet. 

11 hours ago, DarkBlood069 said:

I had been blocked before, but they actually breached their own terms of service in the past which I threatened to send them to court for. I told them to stop putting their nose into my privacy business and to release my account, they then decide to go on the upper hand to try and prosecute me. However, I actually provided evidence that I was piling up against them. For some reason, all of a sudden, they released my account and said "we apologise for any inconvenience, your account restrictions have been lifted, you may continue to use our services".

It's funny really, when you think about it - right? If they want to mess with you, always have something very promising for them.

However, I'm not advising this at all for anyone, this was a very long time ago.

Wow you are lucky xD . Well in this case i guess i should just keep quiet since i think i am not partly at fault but full since i didn't read the TOS and violated it. 

21 hours ago, wry said:

This!  Exactly, they are very well known for this.  There have been countless threads on Bitcointalk about them doing this for several years.  While I'm sure Stake makes some effort to not clearly be sending from a gambling site if you use it frequently they will catch you.

As @firenine points out, they act a lot like a traditional bank, which makes sense since they are based in the USA and so apply US rules and regulations.  US financial repression gets worse and worse and I think will really help Bitcoin in the long run.  In the meantime, run your gambling site withdrawals through some more legitimate (in Coinbase's eyes) place, either a wallet you control fully or an exchange or something.

Good Luck!

I guess then it's the deposit into Stake that alerted them so i guess i will be using an exchange now onwards :(