Stake Forum
wry

Coins that are "locked up" does this help or hurt the price?

Featured Comment

Here's a question I have been thinking about: Do coins available but not in circulation help or hurt the price of a coin?

In Bitcoin's case we all know about Satoshi's million or so coins that have not moved since the early days of Bitcoin and are thought to be lost to history.  There were of course many coins lost when they were mostly worthless.

However, lots of new alt coins, such as Ripple have coins "locked" that are fully expected to be available.  For example, as detailed in the article below, Ripple has millions of coins held by a foundation and two of it's former developers/founders.

The article was acting like it was a big conspiracy that market caps of coins (price X total coins available) could be inflated by including these coins.  But that does not seem like too big of a scandal to me, after all, they are issued and out there - just like we include Satoshi's coins in the Bitcoin market cap.  What I think is more interesting is the effect on the price, doesn't knowing that someone has a big pile of coins out there make you less likely to hold it?  It seems like the article missed a good opportunity to explore the effect on price by focusing on market cap which doesn't really matter that much anyway.

What do you think?  Does knowing Satoshi's horde of Bitcoin or Jed McCaleb's stash of Ripple is out there make you less likely to hold a coin?

Link to article:  https://www.coindesk.com/xrp-market-cap-may-be-overstated-by-billions-messari-report-estimates

Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
— Satoshi Nakamoto

This quote is fully valid for locked up coins as well , the lesser amount of coins in the supply the better and higher the price.  Its just simple supply and demand terminology. But locked up coins are not exactly same as lost coins as they can be brought back into supply , they are good for the price till they are locked , but as soon as they come in supply they would drastically affect the prices. So locked up coins are generally not so good if the amount of coins are in large amount. as when and if they get released into the supply then the prices would be affected.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:31 PM, rack001 said:

This quote is fully valid for locked up coins as well , the lesser amount of coins in the supply the better and higher the price.  Its just simple supply and demand terminology. But locked up coins are not exactly same as lost coins as they can be brought back into supply , they are good for the price till they are locked , but as soon as they come in supply they would drastically affect the prices. So locked up coins are generally not so good if the amount of coins are in large amount. as when and if they get released into the supply then the prices would be affected.

I really hope that this actually drives the price up. I would assume coins get lost everyday due to negligence etc. But the way the price currently is, I really have doubts if the price will actaully recover.