Stake Forum
ivaylo2000

What do you think of organ donation

Featured Comment

I do not know how it is with you, but in my state donating organs happens only with the consent of a person alive. My opinion is that this should be mandatory at first, and if one does not want to donate to sign it. So many people can be saved like this. What do you think?

Yeah, in the US whenever you get an ID card or driver's license they ask you if you want to become an organ donor so more or less it becomes a process that is almost automatic where everyone who wants to gets to enroll in only a few seconds. The issue with mandatory organ donation is that what if the patient that is no longer alive wanted their organs donated but the family denies it for their own reasons.

Then you'll have another side that may argue that if organ donation is automatic, would doctors be more motivated to declare someone dead so they can use those organs when the person has a slim chance of survival?

3 hours ago, ivaylo2000 said:

I do not know how it is with you, but in my state donating organs happens only with the consent of a person alive. My opinion is that this should be mandatory at first, and if one does not want to donate to sign it. So many people can be saved like this. What do you think?

Man, I came into this thread expecting some organ-harvesting conspiracy theory or a desperate-at-wits-end player, both of which can be insanely funny if mentioned in a different light. 

Suggesting organ donation should be mandatory unless opted-out is actually a great idea!

Understandably so, most of us do not consider this an issue that should be dealt with before death, much less be pro-active and getting the required documents signed. I believe we'd all focus on things like estate/wealth/inheritance.

I think more educating and knowledge of this after-life aspect is needed before it becomes a norm for our society. If you're posting such a thing on Stake though, I believe we are moving in the right direction. 😄

Many religions and cultures preach that donating organs after the death of a person is a sin, and instead of helping a person to live, they buried them in the land where they can only serve as a natural fertilizer