Stake Forum
wry

Big Uptick in Ransomeware Payments

Featured Comment

It's Adolf HItler's birthday so nothing like a story profiling one of the worst users of crypto these days, malware attackers using ransom ware.

The method is pretty simple, they get you to download a file that encrypts all the data on your computer.  You then have to pay a ransom to get your data back.  Sadly, the bad guys almost always demand crypto currency, further giving our community a bad reputation.  It's not fair, but still.  Anyway, this article is talking about how the amounts demanded by the bad guys have increased.

However, what I found so much more interesting was the graphic showing the market shares for all the various ransomware programs!  It is remarkable, who makes all these bad things?  Apparently the new one is Ryuk  (does that mean you're fucked in Russian or something?) and it is targeting firms more than individuals and so is getting dramatically higher ransoms from users.

Anyway, a sad but interesting story.  I'm a lot more worried about being targeted by this than I was before.

Link: https://www.coindesk.com/malware-crypto-ransoms-rose-by-almost-90-in-q1-report

I once downloaded such a file and it blocked my computer, but I was not going to pay and just did a reinstall of the operating system. Since I do not store important data on a computer, I have not lost anything.

18 minutes ago, barbaris said:

I once downloaded such a file and it blocked my computer, but I was not going to pay and just did a reinstall of the operating system. Since I do not store important data on a computer, I have not lost anything.

I think this is the absolute best way to protect yourself and I have a feeling will become more and more common as time goes on.  It may actually be a good reason to use more cloud type services and not even have anything valuable on your computer for the bad guys to hold ransom!

Ransomware infections have been around for a very long time, at least the past 10 years (which was the first time I saw one). They have become much more popular due to the fact that crypto is an easy payment option. In the past, they opened bank accounts, which were super risky if they got caught. Now, with crypto, it is super easy for them to scam more people with less risk of being caught.

3 hours ago, wry said:

It's Adolf HItler's birthday so nothing like a story profiling one of the worst users of crypto these days, malware attackers using ransom ware.

The method is pretty simple, they get you to download a file that encrypts all the data on your computer.  You then have to pay a ransom to get your data back.  Sadly, the bad guys almost always demand crypto currency, further giving our community a bad reputation.  It's not fair, but still.  Anyway, this article is talking about how the amounts demanded by the bad guys have increased.

However, what I found so much more interesting was the graphic showing the market shares for all the various ransomware programs!  It is remarkable, who makes all these bad things?  Apparently the new one is Ryuk  (does that mean you're fucked in Russian or something?) and it is targeting firms more than individuals and so is getting dramatically higher ransoms from users.

Anyway, a sad but interesting story.  I'm a lot more worried about being targeted by this than I was before.

Link: https://www.coindesk.com/malware-crypto-ransoms-rose-by-almost-90-in-q1-report

I am confused as to what the news is here. Your giving like an education class about ransomware is, but that is not news. You give a link to a page that is talking about ransomeware statistics, and you call it a sad story? what story am i missing here because i dont see a sad story anywhere. 

And you are worried about being targetted by a ransomware that isnt targetting individuals but firms? You even wrote that about Ryuk, so why are you worried when you know individuals arent targetted. 

And when you say our community you mean the stake community ? lol 

Are you saying adolf hitler is one of the worst users of crypto these days? Or did you mean to write "some" to refer to people who use btc in their malware attacks. 

Im sorry but the excess fluff you added and i underlined and bolded is what really urked me. I expect to learn something when i read these news posts. I hope you learn to write these topics more seriously and to the point. To inform, not to Entertain.

These people steal personal information in order to sell it to you, go to various tricks to get hold of your information! But I think that to a greater extent the victim is to blame for the fact that she fell for their trick! Simply, if you store important information in electronic form, then first of all you need to take care of its security! And download files by checking them several times, or on a gadget where there is nothing important!

yes I can see why businesses would be more attractive targets for ransomware as it's likely cheaper to pay them than the effects of losing all their data. I'd be angry if I was personally a victim but nothing on my pc is important enough for me to pay some dickhead hacker. I have all my important stuff backed up on the cloud or external HDDs.

I heard about this a long time ago the funny thing is they had somehow got into a banner ad to somewhere and showed the message of " Pay the ransom " xD . 

hello friends its true last few years its going on for so many causes ,if we are not aware then pay for it still we are try to avoid those file what was try to get targeted destroyed and hacked our informations. 

This ransomware stuff is around for years but recent years it got in the news more often because crypto got involved. Before the crypto boom you hardly heard anything on the news about this but since crypto got involved it reaches the news more often. 

But personally I am prepared for a possible take over. Except for a couple small crypto related things I do not transact any crypto related things over my everyday laptop. I have a separate laptop that runs on my very own private server and 90% of my crypto holdings are stored on cold and paper wallets. So I wouldn't pay shit when they would take over my regular pc. They can all have it. im not gonna argue or panic about a couple 100$ worth in crypto and some lousy personal things 

On 4/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, wry said:

Well, it helps to not download anything at all -- lol -- most downloads can be found through trusted sources; and unless you fall victim to a phish, or a sting, ie you've been targeted (such as a big firm would be) you don't have very much to worry about -- I'm a bit of an anarchist, so I can't decry this type of action as 'wrong' per se -- it ranks in well under invading another country for its oil, or resources *cough*America*cough* -- and the wealth of a nation SHOULD be distributed to the people who are responsible for the debt their government/corporate rulership incurs ... so .. *shrug* 😃

I have tried testing this virus, but it was not on a personal computer but a school-owned computer after I was concerned about how this virus works, I was quite annoyed that we were required to redeem and it made the crypto reputation very bad.