nuuuitsjdragon

Video Poker Odds - Then & Now?

Featured Comment

I was curious about the finer details of Stake’s VP paytable in comparison to when it was first released and the results is as shown in the pictures. 

Assuming perfect strategy, the difference is a slight 0.005% in terms of RTP/House Edge - not much difference but what’s more important the variance column, more specifically the variance of the 4oak(s).

It is substantially higher when compared with the other values to the old values - 1.36 vs. 1.04.

As such, if you’re having trouble in your VP sessions it is probably due to a lack of 4oak(s), as such making it harder to reach the final goal - the Royal Flush. 

P.S. On a side note, 1000x Plinko’s odds is ~ 1:32,000 vs. VP’s Royal - 1:40,000, just some illustration of how lucky some people are when they are able to hit a few of these in one session & also how difficult it is to hit one of these monsters! 

Current Paytable

D4A78030-177A-4DC8-8784-35638B8DEB24.jpeg

Old Paytable (Game Release)

4B89B42C-94DB-4345-8134-A3DD348C7463.jpeg

Edited by nuuuitsjdragon

An interesting comparative analysis, it is very difficult for me to catch high multipliers. Above Four of a kind, I didn’t catch anything and that was rare.

So it looks like Stake actually increased the house edge ever so slightly based on these two comparisons. I guess you could see it as negligible, but it adds up with millions of bets being made each day.

Thanks for posting this!  I was very curious about the change but had not thought to make a record of the original pay table.

It's interesting that the only changes are lowing four of a kind from 25 to 22 but increasing straight flush from 50 to 60 and that gives a change in the house edge of .005%.  While that does not sound like much, that effectively doubled the house edge on the game from around .005% to 1%, which to be fair, is more in line with the other games at Stake.

Thanks again!

22 minutes ago, wry said:

Thanks for posting this!  I was very curious about the change but had not thought to make a record of the original pay table.

It's interesting that the only changes are lowing four of a kind from 25 to 22 but increasing straight flush from 50 to 60 and that gives a change in the house edge of .005%.  While that does not sound like much, that effectively doubled the house edge on the game from around .005% to 1%, which to be fair, is more in line with the other games at Stake.

Thanks again!

You’re welcome! 

Apart from the house edge, I am attesting that the 22x payout does leave a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth, considering how 4oak(s) dictate the flow and determines during your session run - if you’re running at a loss or still maintaining your bankroll.

Moreover, although the Straight Flush is at x60 now - I believe it is for most players, a negligible factor as it doesn’t hit often enough to be of much consideration during an average session. 

The doubling of the House Edge can be offset by them giving us auto-play - a lifesaver when playing many hands. The effective edge for making mistakes will probably cost more than the 0.005% in the long run. 🤩

It was because at first it was released as a brand new game and they did not have time to think much about it so now they changed it.

Very interesting comparison. I didn't think the likelihood to hit two biggest multipliers is so low, but the truth is, I've never hit a Straight Flush or a Royal Flush, so it just confirms. 
And thank you very much for sharing this comparison  tables. Good luck Flush!

6 hours ago, pfodo said:

Very interesting comparison. I didn't think the likelihood to hit two biggest multipliers is so low, but the truth is, I've never hit a Straight Flush or a Royal Flush, so it just confirms. 
And thank you very much for sharing this comparison  tables. Good luck Flush!

I think sharing more statistics and tables like these really helps more players (and the community as a whole) understand how to size their bets properly by knowing the odds of hitting these monster multipliers!

It’s quite common to have hit big multipliers earlier in a player’s gambling career and not realise that was actually a stroke of luck - and that things like that just don’t happen that often!

Interesting analysis you have made here! It certain provides a more in depth look into the current Video Poker odds compared to before. Seeing the probability of hitting the combinations is pretty mind opening too. :P

It is definitely interesting to see the results tables, both old and new.  Greatly appreciate the post!  It seems that just about 1% is the standard house edge now, which is about the same across the board here at Stake, and still lower than the vast majority of sites these days.