Stake Forum
Edward

Stake Private Messages - Thoughts?

Featured Comment

We have been debating whether it is worthwhile keeping private messaging platform on Stake.

We have found a lot of abuse goes on there with people advertising scam websites or multi-level marketing links. It's very unfortunate because some users fall for this & find themselves getting scammed.

I'm wondering how many people actually have a positive experience with the Stake private messaging system. Would you mind if it was removed?

You are so courteous and respectful for one, asking the views and opinion before making a decision, to think this is your site and you can do whatever you wanna do with it... ☺️

and a big thumbs up for that :), as for the private message, its both good and bad, as well as removing it will have good and bad effect on the players... maybe rather than asking us, why not have a poll of some sort where us can vote for it... well majority wins :)

just my point of view :)

Goodluck!😎  

It's nice to keep it.

We  usually use this feature to talk about things that can't be talked about in the chat like exchanges, private topics, etc.

Even if there are people that begs or send scamming links, I think it can be handled by enabling the "accept messages from friends only". Assuming that your "friends" would not do those to you.

Maybe have us unable to post links there would be good enough to avoid scams? or maybe have a warning like "this might be a scam site and it's not stake's fault if you get scammed by going here so dont go to support if you do" kind of thing for every link to be opened Haha

It's a good option to have private messages. 

But one thing that I would like to be added would be option to disable Messages notifications. 

There used to an option like that on stake 1.0 but it didn't worked at all. 

I'd love to have that added in the privacy settings. 

So that when you go play you can disable the pm notifications to not get annoyed. 

Other than that. I guess stake Already has certain links filtered itself in pms. Saying we can't send your message. 

I'm not sure iff that's removed now. Should be added back. 

And those who fall for such things is their own fault at all. 

A person who is into gambling. 

Already might have atleast beginners knowledge of crypto currency. And crypto world. 

It's strange yet many fall for those traps. 

And yeah people fall for such scams because of their own extra greed. I mean why would anyone give free. 

Or it they asking to deposit some and offering double triple. Why would they even do that. Why don't they keep that money for themselves. 

^^^ That's what people should literally think for a minute before going ahead over this ponzi schemes and scams. 

I like having the option of private messages. 
That being said, I think that some people thought I was lying about my house being flooded today to receive a tip.
Unfortunately, that isn't the case, and Stake just happened to be my distraction. 
Just shows that it goes both ways... People are going to believe whatever it is they want.. and unfortunately some do get scammed for it, but taking away messages isn't going to prevent that. Sad, but true.
Here's the road that runs right alongside the back of my house tho, for those that were curious:

house.jpg

Personally, I don’t have much of a need for private messages! In fact, I think the number of times I actually used PM is still in the single-digit range.

However, I think some other players do use it pretty often and removing it might cause them some issues... 

If this is for the sole purpose of preventing scams, I believe players should be educated on this. Helping them out here will not do them any favours as a part of Cryptocurrency is about having the responsibility and awareness to be your own bank.

Just my 10-cents worth. 🙂

Keeping it? It's not worth the effort in my opinion. We're giving up our security for the so called privacy here. Scammers can be on every corner sizing you up with alts. I'd say remove it. Nothing happens if users aren't able to say hi to each other in pv.

Umm even though it gets abused a lot and people scam others it is a very needed feature for chatting with friends other people.

never got such messages yet ...

But we should have a reaport and ban feature for those people as an option when we click their profile..

Anyways You Rock Eddie my PartyMan

If that is happening are the ones receiving those messages reporting the users.. yes a message is being popped up saying stake isn't responsible if they go through with that link. not only those scam sites. but the abuse of beggars in many ways are annoying.., when some one rains or send a person a good amount for tips will cause those pms... I suggested if you can make rains private... meaning give a choice a player to show or to hide their names if they wanted to rain to the players.. it will show the players that is being rained but not the player name that is doing the rain.. in a way in my opinion would cut down on those pm beggars,, but cutting off pm entirely would be a big mistake. everyone here knows already what can happen if being sent a link. it is up to them to click., well not just private messages also the forum post.. there is constant post of sites that don't relate to stake.. and mods are on it. but still new post of those sites seems to increase everyday...whatever stake choose to do with pm.. guess the players just have to live with it,,

However hard to maintain a healthy atmosphere in there is, we still need and demand such platform! Privacy is our right and I'd like to be able to use it in the future also! The users that get scammed should pay more attention and stop being...unlogical. No offense

Honestly Eddie, if you remove the PM system, what good will the tipping system be? How will users contact each other? I am extremely against this, and I think a lot of people will leave the Stake platform and go to another online gambling community where people can message friends and all. We have the ignore feature for a reason, and if people are abusing the PM system, then the other user can ignore them.

I will honestly not want to stay here anymore if the PM system is removed, and I think a lot of damage will be done to Stake's reputation.

Please don't. actually i need that PM system for chats on personal with my friends (Sometimes). 

so i think its not really necessary to delete the PM System. we just need to tell them to ignore and should not easily to trust anybody who send some Links on PM that might be scammed. simple as that

There are two reason from me that you can delete the private message or don't.

1. Actually, we really need some featured called word filters on obvious links, abusive and offensive words on the chat, that can be filtered also on the private message. Anyway, people and me still using this private message for personal matters, sometimes using Stake as a messenger apps. It would be not nice if we want to talk about something really personal and can't be shared to another person they trust. 
  2. If this enourmously bad for scamming methods, beggars, and devs can't find a new feature that I mention above, it's okay to delete the personal message first and find something new to fix the broken chat. 

Note : also, when the friendlist things fixed?

I'm just thinking now - this will actually be a good test to see whether Stake listens to its users. 90% of people have said that they want the PM's to stick around. So let's see if Eddie listens to the community.

Also, one thing that I don't understand, is that the default setting is no PM's unless the user is your friend. And noobs can't send PM's with wearing $100. So i really don't know what all these ponzi schemes etc. that you are talking about comes from.

I have never ever been sent a PM taking me to a ponzi scheme or scam site...

Posted (edited)

Does developers of Stake lives in Serbia too? Because I would fly straight there and threaten them to bring private messages back! (sorry, Eddie, Australia is just too far) 😂

Joking ofc :) If more serious, I like pm's, and would be sad if it would be removed. Scammers are everywhere, and it's not a solution, to block opportunities for them in one place by removing communication tool, and then just close eyes to how they are scamming people (maybe even same stakers!) somewhere else. Words filtering and our community educating about safety in crypto world would be better in my opinion :)

Edited by lupandina

for me private messages is very important,  there is a secret between me and my friend even though I rarely use it.

i think it should be kept.

yeah if anything its the  people who end up adding as friend to just ask for money that is annoying... but i just no longer add random ppl .... nor do i report them cause its like.. welll.... my fault for adding a stranger and engaging the convo in a sense... .reporting them is just well not smtin i do, as there is nothing i gain by having them muted... i just unfriend and move on.....

those who fall for scams, well they shouldn't be clicking-on links to random things from random ppl,

also people in the crypto community are wise enuf not to fall for scams like that, if not,  i think the intelligence of people is underestimated..

i bet u there are more scammers out there that are  trying to tell stake support they got scammed than actual people getting scammed by a PM....... they prob try to get stake to send them money and say want  want money back since it happened on stake.com pm system or smtin lol  in reality are the scammers themselves......trying to scam stake by saying that lol than there are 

i bet you that happens more so than people really getting scammed =P

I for one just recently started using PMs, because I now only really got to know a few people. For me I think it really helps us have our own conversations, need not be personal but trying to have a nice conversation in the English channel is very difficult, knowing the amount of people being there and constantly messaging. So our conversations could be buried completely or if we remember we could be lucky to scroll up and find it, also if they have tagged us xD 

For these reasons I think it makes it easier for us users who want to have a chat with some of our friends. The fact that we have to add people to message already kind of sorts this out. Probably just add people you talk to regularly and not random people not even in the channel. Also the pop up message also is decent awareness for people to maybe think twice, "You are about to leave stake.com, be careful this site could be malicious.

Apart from that I think this is good enough awareness about the scams and weird links that go around for users to simply click without thinking, I truly think that is their fault. Scams happen everywhere and we cannot stop it but we should spread awareness to the ones completely new to this. 

So I believe there's a lot more positive than negative, and that the negatives can be evaded by a simple awareness. :) Thank you, for asking our opinion, I think that is why Stake is truly the best one out there! ❤️ 

Long live Steak. 🍽️😛