Stake Forum
neich

hardware wallets safe?

Featured Comment

Snce 2 weeks im in love with offline wallets.

The hardware wallets are the best type of offline wallet that offers very high security and ease of use. Also, as these wallets allow backup, you can easily recover your funds if you lose this device.

One such example of a hardware wallet is Trezor. It operates as secure cold storage. You can easily transfer bitcoins to the device using the Trezor interface, which is accessible from macOS, Linux, Windows, and Android. Its interface is quite easy to use that lists your coins and recent transactions.

Trezor uses a 12 to 24-word seed for protection and recovery and a user-defined PIN. You can also add an encrypted passphrase to your wallet for an added layer of security.
What do u think?

save on hardware, I think it's very safe. because only we know it, but are very vulnerable to loss, damaged by water or even burning. if we are among those who are negligent, we might be able to disappear.
for me online storage is quite the best

It seems to me you can not be confident in the security of wallets. Hacks all kinds of wallets, even Ledger. Therefore, I prefer to immediately convert to cash and deposit it in a bank account, where even if something happens I will be guaranteed a refund.

To be honest, i never had one. I heard they are a bit expensive not sure about it though.

Alot of people told me to get one to keep and use for the future, but i don't seem that interested in them.

I keep all my crypto on hardware wallets and I have some paper wallets as well. All of them are securely stored in a safe so I am sure it can't be damaged by fire or storm. Beside that I also keep multiple copies of my private keys on different places. I have small safe boxes in different banks and I have stored my private keys and copies of them in 6 different places. So If in some way I loose my ledger, Trezor or something happens I always be able to restore my wallets. I guess only an atomic bomb that ruins all the places where I store my keys then I will loose my crypto but probably I will be dead myself so doesn't matter

12 minutes ago, nattekut said:

Saya menyimpan semua crypto saya di dompet perangkat keras dan saya punya beberapa dompet kertas juga. Semuanya disimpan dengan aman di brankas, jadi saya yakin itu tidak bisa rusak oleh api atau badai. Selain itu saya juga menyimpan banyak salinan kunci pribadi saya di tempat yang berbeda. Saya memiliki brankas kecil di bank yang berbeda dan saya telah menyimpan kunci pribadi dan salinannya di 6 tempat berbeda. Jadi, jika saya kehilangan buku besar saya, Trezor atau sesuatu terjadi, saya selalu dapat mengembalikan dompet saya. Saya kira hanya sebuah bom atom yang menghancurkan semua tempat di mana saya menyimpan kunci saya maka saya akan kehilangan crypto saya tapi mungkin saya akan mati sendiri jadi tidak masalah

maybe you should start looking for someone who can be trusted, to manage all the assets that you have in cryptocurrency. because if you die and no one knows the property you have, then all your money will be a valuable treasure if found.

Posted (edited)

Well Trezor wallets are safe indeed against any other type of wallets holding money such as online exchanges or cryptocurrency cards.

If you want to go for such hardware safety than you should understand that you are not completely 100% safe as if the hardware gets damaged you will not be able to get your money back.

Edited by DreamStage

Well it's the same for all technology even if online or offline. The hackers will always find a way to get your money.

From what you said, it sounds so secure and everything. The most reassuring part for me is having backups in case it gets lost because I always lose my wallet or other important things. XD 

9 hours ago, nattekut said:

I keep all my crypto on hardware wallets and I have some paper wallets as well. All of them are securely stored in a safe so I am sure it can't be damaged by fire or storm. Beside that I also keep multiple copies of my private keys on different places. I have small safe boxes in different banks and I have stored my private keys and copies of them in 6 different places. So If in some way I loose my ledger, Trezor or something happens I always be able to restore my wallets. I guess only an atomic bomb that ruins all the places where I store my keys then I will loose my crypto but probably I will be dead myself so doesn't matter

Wow you are so thorough with everything. xD

Also, make sure someone in your family knows where each of them are located and how to access it. It might all go to waste if you encounter certain accidents and such. Just reminding you because I read an article once that a CEO died at the age of 33 and millions of their assets are in his hi tech laptop with a tight pssword. I don't know if they cracked it already and such but i don't want you to end up like him cause we never know when our time will come xD 

hard wallets are safe.,. its great because is not in site where theres a chance to get hacked.,. you can take it with you and what not. the only bad part if you lose your 12 phrase that can really mess up everthing

12 hours ago, hui said:

Enough to have a quick search on the web to get an idea :P

https://media.ccc.de/v/35c3-9563-wallet_fail

For those of you who are too busy to check out @hui's video, it shows how to exploit a Trezor and demonstrates that in many ways hardware wallets are NOT particularly safe compared to some reasonable alternatives.

22 hours ago, pras111 said:

maybe you should start looking for someone who can be trusted, to manage all the assets that you have in cryptocurrency. because if you die and no one knows the property you have, then all your money will be a valuable treasure if found.

firstly I do not let a stranger or a trustful person to handle my crypto assets. Everything I have is managed by myself wether it are my crypto holding or my real estate or other real life assets. But do not worry everything is arranged very well. 

My wife knows where all my private keys are stored and knows all passwords. Couple years ago I made up will with a notary in my town and whenever there happens something with me everything will go to wife and kids.  And if something very bad happens with me and me, my wife and kids die at once then there is in my will that all my crypto holdings will be sold and donated to a cancer charity, cause I know what it is after loosing one of my children due to cancer in the past.

So I am fully backed. 

Secondly your first sentence is not done in crypto business and even in regular business. I will never trust another person to manage my crypto beside myself. I run 4 real life businesses, I am a professional crypto trader for over 4 years and trading is my main source of income. I am a business owner for over 16 years and sold 3 of my early business for big money after I build them out from scratch. So I think I am more than capable enough to manage my own assets and do not need any help with that

I do not agree with everything nattekut said, but these are very important points that everyone owning enough values of any kind to worry about should give a thought.

Its more safe because there was no internet connection and when you eject from usb chance to lost your money going down fast. But this cold wallets (usb flash) is easy to broke it. You would keep it from shakes and keep it dry (for dumb users) , because one time broken usb wallet can't fix ever.

1 minute ago, ivaylo2000 said:

Its more safe because there was no internet connection and when you eject from usb chance to lost your money going down fast. But this cold wallets (usb flash) is easy to broke it. You would keep it from shakes and keep it dry (for dumb users) , because one time broken usb wallet can't fix ever.

You gotta trust complex systems. My advice is to reduce complexity. Have a look at brainwallets for example (and have a good passphrase)

Yeah they are one of the safest wallets out there but if you are a irrespknsible person then those hardware fancy wallets are not the way to go for you.

I agree with this, cold wallets are among all securities one of the best, maybe the best, to keep safe your alts and btc`s.  I guess that, cold wallets, are one of the most significant features to really create a decentralized economy when having total and secure control of your assets.  A security box at hand.  In how many places do you keep your seed safe, I am talking about a plain simple white paper... I have 5 securities spots, including one in my mom`s house.  And how many people knows about those secret places.... none yet.  Good luck.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:37 AM, neich said:

Snce 2 weeks im in love with offline wallets.

The hardware wallets are the best type of offline wallet that offers very high security and ease of use. Also, as these wallets allow backup, you can easily recover your funds if you lose this device.

One such example of a hardware wallet is Trezor. It operates as secure cold storage. You can easily transfer bitcoins to the device using the Trezor interface, which is accessible from macOS, Linux, Windows, and Android. Its interface is quite easy to use that lists your coins and recent transactions.

Trezor uses a 12 to 24-word seed for protection and recovery and a user-defined PIN. You can also add an encrypted passphrase to your wallet for an added layer of security.
What do u think?

No, wallet can be called safe, until you keep them safe. Out of all the wallets, hardware wallet are best as they are always offline and have their private keys stored within. They are best for those who are long term investors. 

If you are an occasional trader then hardware wallet are the best. Remember to keep it safe, dust proof and water proof. They tend to get corrupted easily.

I suppose for hard wallet you would need not worry too much about it getting hacked online as compared to online wallets. 😏

yes its safe,, you not carrying cash save alot of space,, you the only one has access to it..and if its stolen there no way they can get access to it  without the 2 step verification or 12 phrase word. and other is just another flash drive. with no great importance.. 

On 6/12/2019 at 11:32 PM, ivaylo2000 said:

indeed they can get broken but if you keep your pass phrase very well than you can always recover the coins that are on the broken hardware wallet. I once broke my ledger which contained 20BTC. I did not panicked. I always have 3-4 empty new ledger at home so I just took a new one and entered the passphrase and got my coins back