Stake Forum
williamshennie9

Risks of publicly sharing your wallet address

Featured Comment

This is more related to security risks etc. which I am not 100% certain about. So my question is, what the the worst thing that can happen if someone knows your wallet address? Surely they can't hack it or anything, because otherwise, people would be hacking wallets all over the place. 

So for those of you who are familiar with bitcoin and the whole blockchain system, what are the risks, if any, of sharing your wallet address with anyone?

P.S. I haven't shared my wallet with anyone, so I am not stressed or anything, it is more a matter of curiosity that anything else :)

I do not think that the distribution of your wallet address will bring you the risk of being hacked. This is just an address. It's like your credit card number, which you leave when you either pay or wait for a transaction.

If you're referring to your public wallet address, whether it is BTC, LTC, ETH, etc, there should be no security risk in sharing it with someone.  As long as your private keys are safe, and not shared with ANYONE, there should be no risk...

sharing your wallet address isn't such a big deal and there is no risk attached. Its like sharing your bank account with someone that needs to make a money transfer to you. They only thing they would be able to do is to check the balance of that wallet address. But if you rather want to keep that information private than this can be simply done.

I never share the BTC address of my hardware wallets cause there are my holdings stored and no one that wants to send me BTC needs to know how much BTC my wallet contains. For receiving BTC I mostly use wallets that have a new BTC address with every transaction or I use an online wallet where I automatically send the balance automatically to my other wallet address.

As long as you do not ever share your private keys with someone then there will be no risk  

That is a question that has always been on my mind as well so I looked it up.

Basically what I read was that since your wallet is for receiving only so there's no real security issues. 

From my understanding the worst that can happen is someone miss send btc and it wind up in your wallet lol.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:08 PM, allisonn said:

Would you like to clarify what you mean by wallet address? The watch-only public key which lets people see your entire wallet? Or just one of the many input addresses used to deposit money in your wallet?

On 6/11/2019 at 8:13 PM, CntryBoy said:

If you're referring to your public wallet address, whether it is BTC, LTC, ETH, etc, there should be no security risk in sharing it with someone.  As long as your private keys are safe, and not shared with ANYONE, there should be no risk...

Yes, to clarify, I am talking about the public address to send and receive bitcoins. Obviously sending or sharing your private key of your wallet is just stupid. So I mean the address I use with I withdraw from Stake (my public wallet address).

Only by sharing your public keys are the main issue / risks for all your wallets attached to it.

Basically you already share your wallet addresses to get your balances / profits transfered to you.

If you wouldnt provide wallet addresses how would you even get your funds?

Edited by DreamStage

i think its more related to privacy risks rather than security risks. as a stocker coould use it see when yuo depo and how much and then be all like, u rish bish halp me too i c u depositing ugh

Well i guess the thread lori made will answer your question and i don't get why like bitcoin should have anonymity but that is not there i guess.