Stake Forum

Featured Comment

I believe stake needs to do something about the forum spam that is getting past the point of excessive. We all know it is due to the incentives stakes offers to post on the forums, and while this is an awesome aspect of stake the whole point of it is to generate real conversation and have a active forum. The fact is people are just reposting the same things previous posters have posted making each reply generic and pointless. No one seems to have a unique answer now even though we have more posters than ever. It's starting  to look like the btctalk gambling forum where people do the same repeating posts for signature campaigns. 

Whilst I don't really want the pay for post system to be removed, I believe it should be monitored and regulated more. I suggest having a team made of active forum members, who may or may not receive some form of payment, decline the reward for posts made by other members that are abusing the system. I know we have moderators, but I don't mean moderation or extra work. I figure, if these active posters are going to be reading and posting anyway, they could just react one way to posts as the read them to cancel the incetive for posts they find to be pointless repeated spam. The rewards would be calculated normally and sent weekly instead of daily and only posts without a certain number of down votes would be rewarded at the end of the week, with the downvoted posts not counted in the reward. I figured a post with 3 negative reactions from these spam defenders would remove any pending  reward for said post.

This may not be the way to go, but something needs to be done.

21 minutes ago, Mikehoncho said:

I believe stake needs to do something about the forum spam that is getting past the point of excessive. We all know it is due to the incentives stakes offers to post on the forums, and while this is an awesome aspect of stake the whole point of it is to generate real conversation and have a active forum. The fact is people are just reposting the same things previous posters have posted making each reply generic and pointless. No one seems to have a unique answer now even though we have more posters than ever. It's starting  to look like the btctalk gambling forum where people do the same repeating posts for signature campaigns. 

Whilst I don't really want the pay for post system to be removed, I believe it should be monitored and regulated more. I suggest having a team made of active forum members, who may or may not receive some form of payment, decline the reward for posts made by other members that are abusing the system. I know we have moderators, but I don't mean moderation or extra work. I figure, if these active posters are going to be reading and posting anyway, they could just react one way to posts as the read them to cancel the incetive for posts they find to be pointless repeated spam. The rewards would be calculated normally and sent weekly instead of daily and only posts without a certain number of down votes would be rewarded at the end of the week, with the downvoted posts not counted in the reward. I figured a post with 3 negative reactions from these spam defenders would remove any pending  reward for said post.

or create a function to report/flag a post with a given reason and have it go straight to the forum admins. i havent browsed around enough to even notice the reposts but, i think this could really call on the community to help out with this one.

I have noticed that spam has increased, though, keep in mind it has always been a problem. I have also noticed that the moderators and admins are no longer as willing to merge posts, and delete them, or move them to the correct sections of the forum. I think their focus has shifted now, because a few months ago, they were super hands-on with the forum.

I think the ideal change to the system would be adding the curation factor into the existing calculations - whereby thread-starters have scaled payouts depending on the number of reactions their topic gets.

The people who react and reply also get rewards but of course at a lesser % and tied to their curation history as well.

This idea is similar to Steem’s current model which I believe is an extremely good way of preventing abuse and improving post/thread quality!

Yeah, although I'm somewhat new I have noticed that too. But the people who spam and post multiple short posts. I believe they don't really get much from it anyways. So they may end up getting fed up?

This is quite an interesting way to go about it. Like for each progressive down vote their amount they should receive will lessen. But as always there are cons to everything. For this if some people (who are appointed to regulate the forum) have some sort of inner hatred, or are biased because of previous posts or maybe even from the Stake chatroom, I think it could be unfair to him.

True its difficult for the moderators to go through most of the posts - even though there are moderators specifically for the stake forum. As I have heard they have changed the algorithm in the way users get a share from each post. And I'm sure Stake isn't too worried about the small amounts that go by, mainly if it's the lower ranks. But if a higher ranked user abuses by repeating discussions or copy pastes stuff then I think they'll look after it. 

I'm not saying this is a bad idea - I think its a good initiative and to get regular users to help out (without any rewards), and I would love to help too, but after stake lowered the rewards for repetitive posts and limited the posts per day - already is quite a big move, which reduces spam and reward abusers. :) 

5 hours ago, Mikehoncho said:

Yah i also notice that too about those short post . Only few words no meaning . Just a question or whatever but they not even get much for it tho , i agree that we must have a guy to check all the forum post, that not a mod job , and have to handle chat room and forum is over work tho

Yep , i noticed people make a random question post , then after a few seconds they withdraw the forum rewards at stake.But i believe the mods are already working hard.

They only way this issue can be solved is if there are moderators that are ready to work for the forum 24/7.

People or spammers will always find a way round the instructions, because there are always loop holes. But if there are moderators that are ready to work round the clock, then sanity will be restored to the forum.

Kudos to the moderators though, they are doing a good job all about.

16 minutes ago, Bimfo said:

They only way this issue can be solved is if there are moderators that are ready to work for the forum 24/7.

People or spammers will always find a way round the instructions, because there are always loop holes. But if there are moderators that are ready to work round the clock, then sanity will be restored to the forum.

Kudos to the moderators though, they are doing a good job all about.

I don't think this will be in any way profitable for stake to implement.

I believe that through the many things stake had added, right now is a pretty decent spot where spammers/reposters get so little for their posts that in the end they will probably just get bored. The spam itself will never truly be gone, but once the better part knows about getting 5% a normal post would get, they will stop and think about actually posting useful reactions/topics

2 minutes ago, SirKappa3000 said:

I don't think this will be in any way profitable for stake to implement.

I believe that through the many things stake had added, right now is a pretty decent spot where spammers/reposters get so little for their posts that in the end they will probably just get bored. The spam itself will never truly be gone, but once the better part knows about getting 5% a normal post would get, they will stop and think about actually posting useful reactions/topics

Some real users might get affected because of this too. The settings made by stake cannot be 100% efficient. If I am saying moderators that are ready to work, I am  not talking about people that are here to earn Stake's satoshis. They are gamblers, but they are active on the forum and are ready to help the forum out without expecting anything in return.

Yeah, that's of course also true.

Innocent bystanders will always be at risk of getting hit by some form of repercussions against spammers, but it is my honest opinion that the algorithm is large and effective enough that it won't hit a 'normal' forum user as hard as it would hit a spamming one.

Posted (edited)

Useless topic...

You can just report the spammer if you want.

16 hours ago, Mikehoncho said:

Whilst I don't really want the pay for post system to be removed, I believe it should be monitored and regulated more.

But you seem to be bitching at it for everything and asking for a major change.

The simple solution is always an IP ban and that's it, no more changes required.

There are already rank restrictions rules maybe you haven't read them? (in case you think they will be able to do something with vpn or multiple ips):

https://forum.stake.com/topic/3646-rank-restrictions/

Edited by DreamStage

The reward for spamming, e.g. up to 3000 satoshi, is far, far higher than the reward for moderating, zero.  Therefore, since humans respond to incentives, there will always be lots of low value posts.  Personally, I view low value posts as more dangerous than spam, since most people who post a lot on the forum stay within the letter of the rules.

Now, if @Dan set it up that every post that was moved, hidden, or warning issued paid the moderators, I expect things would improve in that you'd see fewer low value posts, alas, all the threads like this one and the others complaining about posts on the forum would be about "nazi moderators" who over control the forum.  It might be a nice change of pace, but I don't see it happening.

In short, as is proven day after day, free money brings out the worst in people.

Well, yes and this could also be a spam if this is already said once right? Even me Im accused spamming just because I posted a post that is already post, and I didn't know, and I am nearly given a warning points by that, seems to be disgusting. This shouldn't be taken so easily by our staff just because it's said by someone. We might lose lots of forum accounts then 😅