Kate

Ever stored in a cold wallet ?

Featured Comment

So storing coins you all know this and do this basically just safely keeping your coins in a wallet. Some wallets are safe while some are very safe and some are too safe that if you do something you dont know then you could end up loosing your coins and such a wallet is a cold storage.

I have not used it yet because i heard that to store in a cold storage you must know the ins and outs of a normal bitcoin wallet which i dont know squat about. And i dont want to take such of a huge risk of loosing all my coins.

So have you guys ever stored coins in a cold storage or nah is it too risky for you ?

Cold storage is imo not risky at all, it's just a wallet that hasn't been touched and gapped off from the internet, meaning even a hacker with full control of your systems will have problems accessing it. Hasn't been touched does not mean it cannot be touched or will never be, just that it's safer to have no contact with it. If you have some cash in your pocket and some under your mattress, the mattress is your cold wallet (and your pocket, metaphorically your hot wallet). You don't want all your cash in your pocket, or all under your mattress, that would be very unsafe and very troublesome, respectively.

It is still entirely possible to spend funds in a cold wallet 99.9999999% safely, using USB sticks or QR codes to "sign" the transaction while still keeping the machine completely offline. I do this for most of my transactions and even if my computer is completely 100% hacked, they can't get at my private keys. Hardware wallets I would also classify as cold-ish wallets as they aren't connected to the internet much, except to verify transactions, and even when they are they are designed for this one thing - to not leak out the keys.

I store all my coins on cold wallets. I only have a small amount that I need for daily use on online wallets. And I have my bags in exchanges. But every other single satoshi or other coin are stored in my cold wallets

i have kept all my coins in cold wallet it not risky most safe place away from internet. on online wallet i kept a small amount which i can move from here to there and some with exchange for trading. till date every thing is fine so for me it safe to store all in cold wallet

I have and I do. I have a PC with about $10k in doge on it that has never been on the internet, it's been online as in connected, but not on google chrome or any web browser. I transferred my wallet install files from my main PC with a flash drive and installed it that way. I also use a Ledger Nano to store BTC/etc on.

one friend of mine mines some good amounts so when he wanna keep them he got that pc 
with offline wallet or whatever it called 
and he deposits there and turns the pc off lol
i guess better then the nano xD