Jump to content
iamsheikhadil

What makes lottery different to gambling?

Featured Comment

We all know that lottery is very similar to gambling, yet, lottery is much more acceptable in society than gambling.

Gambling is like a sin and complete taboo, while lottery is even run by the government!

And compared to gambling, in lottery, chances to win are very very low!

So, why do people invest their luck in lottery but hate gambling?

Is it a psychological thing or like is it different in some parts which am missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iamsheikhadil said:

We all know that lottery is very similar to gambling, yet, lottery is much more acceptable in society than gambling.

Gambling is like a sin and complete taboo, while lottery is even run by the government!

And compared to gambling, in lottery, chances to win are very very low!

So, why do people invest their luck in lottery but hate gambling?

Is it a psychological thing or like is it different in some parts which am missing?

It's semantics mostly. Lotteries are still gambling. People gamble away life savings playing lotteries. The only differences I can think of from traditional or online gambling is that the games are mostly funded by a pool from lottery ticket purchases rather than the house and the flow of the process is a little different too. With traditional gambling, you place a bet, select your setup depending on the game, then the result or results are delivered by the house. With lotto there is usually a middleman that is not the house that acts as the vendor and a waiting period between receiving the ticket and finding out the results. Also the amount of people involved in one lotto round can be in the millions. But, mostly it's semantics. In lotto the wager is called a purchase. bottom line. They are the same and society is inherently stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Qvvaser109 said:

It's semantics mostly. Lotteries are still gambling. People gamble away life savings playing lotteries. The only differences I can think of from traditional or online gambling is that the games are mostly funded by a pool from lottery ticket purchases rather than the house and the flow of the process is a little different too. With traditional gambling, you place a bet, select your setup depending on the game, then the result or results are delivered by the house. With lotto there is usually a middleman that is not the house that acts as the vendor and a waiting period between receiving the ticket and finding out the results. Also the amount of people involved in one lotto round can be in the millions. But, mostly it's semantics. In lotto the wager is called a purchase. bottom line. They are the same and society is inherently stupid.

I agree completely. It's the same. Yet it's the same society that calls us gamblers as sinners and fools lol.

They will donate their money to charity and stuff believing in Gods they never seen, but gambling is like the most waste thing in their eyes. 

Same when it comes to lottery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iamsheikhadil said:

I agree completely. It's the same. Yet it's the same society that calls us gamblers as sinners and fools lol.

They will donate their money to charity and stuff believing in Gods they never seen, but gambling is like the most waste thing in their eyes. 

Same when it comes to lottery. 

Well the society I live in is called Sin City and lotteries are banned here. lol. But gambling is perfectly acceptable and provides employment for tens of thousands of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lottery has low to no chance of winning while gambling has bigger odds, that's why they think we're dumb and shit, but they're ones that are actually stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have more chances in gambling than in a lottery. Think about lottery when you need to select 6 numbers. On stake you can play keno and place 100 bets within short period of time. On lottery you have only one chance , but you can send many tickets, that will cost you a lot of money, sure the prize could be millions, but it's easier to win on keno than on lotto. Same with other games. Gambling is simply bettter than lottery because you can bet less , yes you win less, but on lottery you have almost no chance to win. Lottery is like hunting for 1000x multiplier on keno with $1 bets. How wise is that? Well.. on keno you could win some money along way... you get your results instantly, you can change the best and numbers as many times as you wish. On lottery it is slow and the only win is that big millions prize, the rest of the prizes are the joke. But on gambling for example keno when you bet $1 and send 100 bets you can win maybe $25 if you are lucky. I doubt you would be able to do that on lottery so easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wngo123 said:

You have more chances in gambling than in a lottery. Think about lottery when you need to select 6 numbers. On stake you can play keno and place 100 bets within short period of time. On lottery you have only one chance , but you can send many tickets, that will cost you a lot of money, sure the prize could be millions, but it's easier to win on keno than on lotto. Same with other games. Gambling is simply bettter than lottery because you can bet less , yes you win less, but on lottery you have almost no chance to win. Lottery is like hunting for 1000x multiplier on keno with $1 bets. How wise is that? Well.. on keno you could win some money along way... you get your results instantly, you can change the best and numbers as many times as you wish. On lottery it is slow and the only win is that big millions prize, the rest of the prizes are the joke. But on gambling for example keno when you bet $1 and send 100 bets you can win maybe $25 if you are lucky. I doubt you would be able to do that on lottery so easy.

I agree on this. Yet people are more inclined towards lottery and consider gambling as bad even with so many cons with lotteries which doesn't exist in gambling.

I think humans beings are psychologically born dumb lmao. 

Lottery is like "good" game of chance and gambling is like "bad" game of chance lel. Kinda ironic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nothing influences compulsive gambling with the presence or absence of the lottery. Compulsive gamblers usually want to play gambling that is very stimulating, like gambling that requires technical skills in it, different from the lottery. Even though it is like that, the lottery suggests that the players have a great responsibility in almost all jurisdictions, thus showing that there is genuine concern for compulsive gambling. And even today there is no evidence to refer to the lottery as a game that causes compulsive gambling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lottery is only a part of Gambling it is not Different..

What makes Lottery more acceptable is the License to Operate..there are still illegal Lotteries which is not acceptable..

Gambling is not a complete taboo, its just that it is link to rules laws and stuff which makes it look bad.

Casinos are legal once it has complied to all requirements of each state and is no different to lottery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

perhaps the smaller stakes it costs to play lottery and as you mentioned just the overall consensus that's its ok to punt on the lottery once a week lol, although most of us could never win the lottery we all have a good chance of winning a day or two of gambling :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for me both are the same , those who said is different is merely just trying to runaway from the reality😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×