Stake Forum
wry

The Typology of Begging

Featured Comment

Ever since discovering Bitcoin I've loved hanging out in gambling chat rooms.  It is always interesting and you meet a lot of really great people.  Stake's chat room is no different, there are a lot of really fun people and the mods do a good job of enforcing the rules (though I still thing the CAPS rule is a bit much).

One thing that has always been a fixture in gambling chat rooms has been people asking for coins.  I can understand wanting free money and I realize that in some countries the amount that winners choose to share can be meaningful.  Still, its always seemed off putting and like an abuse of other people's good will.

I thought it might be fun to make a typology of begging, here goes, add or comment as you see fit!  I'm especially curious if any of you actually help these folks out, as the behavior is so common I have to assume it works sometimes.

1. The Straight Ask Beg - Nothing too creative here, a straight out ask:  "Give me coins please"  Makes up for its lack of creativity with being direct, of course the please doesn't always happen, but at least its presence shows some manners.
  2. The Passive Ask Beg - "No coins to play with, so sad!" Sometimes hard to detect because it is not unusual for players to legitimately complain in chat of busting or having a bad run of luck.  Usually considered a beg once repeated.
  3. The "Event" Beg - "More games/trivia!" Like the passive ask beg there is a fine line between enjoying the fun events players choose to run for the benefit of the chat and nagging people to continue to offer chatters free money.  Usually gratitude is "Thanks for the games!" versus the beg of "More games!"
  4. The Loan Beg - "Give me 10K now get 20K in an hour!" I've seen this the least on Stake because loans are allowed in the forums, but not uncommon elsewhere.
  5. The Guilt Beg - "I shared XX coins when I won, now nothing!"  This one I can actually understand and sympathize with a little.  But if you are raining and expecting the degens (I use that term with love) to reciprocate at a later time I'm sorry, but that's not realistic.  You just look bitter.  Note that there are lots of players who do reciprocate and share a lot with each other as they win or lose (You know who you are and you are awesome!) but they never resort to this type of statement in chat.  

Hopefully that's enough to get started!  I imagine you've seen others!  Good Luck!

On 12/4/2017 at 8:58 AM, Shaniqua said:

wry wow did you write all this yourself? its great!

Thanks Shaniqua!  Yes all me!

And I have one to add from today:

6. The Big Tipper Missed Me guilt beg - A variant of #5 but a pathetic effort to guilt others or the tipper to give the asker money.

When I got tagged in this I initially thought someone was going to post me as a beggar and was confused... but yeah everyone is your best friend when winning but most scatter when you're down. It's easy to remember the ones who actually try to help in some way or at least don't fall off the face of the planet lol.

3 hours ago, futurwavsurf said:

When I got tagged in this I initially thought someone was going to post me as a beggar and was confused... but yeah everyone is your best friend when winning but most scatter when you're down. It's easy to remember the ones who actually try to help in some way or at least don't fall off the face of the planet lol.

Well Thatd very true though

thank god i have strong proficiency in selective reading skills and i auto skip anything that sounds like a beg request.  the amounts of PM's i get everytime i check lmao. and yes the mods tell me to report them, but the sheer amount of them makes it too much effort to do so. 

one annoying thing that i get all the time is people saying congrats on flame... how the heck am I supposed to respond everytime? ugh.

i mean cmon, flame isnt even that difficult to get. I think seeing me without one is more of a congratulatory worthy event than seeing me with one tbh. 

really now. as indiscreet as those who do it think it looks, its actually bloody obvious that they are trying to do some ass kissing in hopes of being remembered to get tipped. 

ps. what works for me so far is that i tip everyone that doesnt ask for it lol. and i perma blacklist people that do :P 

"nice tips"

"everybody gets tipped but not me"

"notice me senpai"

"Im sooooooo tired of claiming faucet"

"my balance is 0"

"how much is your balance?"

"tip me 10k I will tip u back 20k later"     later= 528 years

"opening the umbrella"

"cough cough"

Just now, maverick528 said:

"nice tips"

"notice me senpai"

"my balance is 0"

"opening the umbrella"

Yo!

"notice me senpai", I usually typed this, but I wasn't doing this to get tip. I usually typed  this to you Mave, Spamking, Rack, and some familiar names on chatbox. 

Clearly I'm not doing this for tip though. And I have no intention either to beg for 10k. 

13 hours ago, maverick528 said:

"nice tips"

"notice me senpai"

"my balance is 0"

"opening the umbrella"

"cough cough"

You see a lot of guys with the reply,, give me 10k ,I will give you 20/30/40k. I think that after they receive those 10k they go max bet and either win huge either lose. I dont like this kind of people. 

On 12/4/2017 at 4:53 AM, wry said:

Ever since discovering Bitcoin I've loved hanging out in gambling chat rooms.  It is always interesting and you meet a lot of really great people.  Stake's chat room is no different, there are a lot of really fun people and the mods do a good job of enforcing the rules (though I still thing the CAPS rule is a bit much).

One thing that has always been a fixture in gambling chat rooms has been people asking for coins.  I can understand wanting free money and I realize that in some countries the amount that winners choose to share can be meaningful.  Still, its always seemed off putting and like an abuse of other people's good will.

I thought it might be fun to make a typology of begging, here goes, add or comment as you see fit!  I'm especially curious if any of you actually help these folks out, as the behavior is so common I have to assume it works sometimes.

1. The Straight Ask Beg - Nothing too creative here, a straight out ask:  "Give me coins please"  Makes up for its lack of creativity with being direct, of course the please doesn't always happen, but at least its presence shows some manners.

2. The Passive Ask Beg - "No coins to play with, so sad!" Sometimes hard to detect because it is not unusual for players to legitimately complain in chat of busting or having a bad run of luck.  Usually considered a beg once repeated.

3. The "Event" Beg - "More games/trivia!" Like the passive ask beg there is a fine line between enjoying the fun events players choose to run for the benefit of the chat and nagging people to continue to offer chatters free money.  Usually gratitude is "Thanks for the games!" versus the beg of "More games!"

4. The Loan Beg - "Give me 10K now get 20K in an hour!" I've seen this the least on Stake because loans are allowed in the forums, but not uncommon elsewhere.

5. The Guilt Beg - "I shared XX coins when I won, now nothing!"  This one I can actually understand and sympathize with a little.  But if you are raining and expecting the degens (I use that term with love) to reciprocate at a later time I'm sorry, but that's not realistic.  You just look bitter.  Note that there are lots of players who do reciprocate and share a lot with each other as they win or lose (You know who you are and you are awesome!) but they never resort to this type of statement in chat.  

Hopefully that's enough to get started!  I imagine you've seen others!  Good Luck!

6. the confident one - "thank you in advance to xyz/streamer" it is like he knows he is gonna get beg for sure. :D:D 

On 12/18/2017 at 3:14 AM, Neverever said:

one annoying thing that i get all the time is people saying congrats on flame... how the heck am I supposed to respond everytime? ugh.

i mean cmon, flame isnt even that difficult to get. I think seeing me without one is more of a congratulatory worthy event than seeing me with one tbh. 

really now. as indiscreet as those who do it think it looks, its actually bloody obvious that they are trying to do some ass kissing in hopes of being remembered to get tipped. 

ps. what works for me so far is that i tip everyone that doesnt ask for it lol. and i perma blacklist people that do :P 

That's interesting, I've never considered congratulating someone on their "flame" as begging.  I always thought it was a fun thing to comment on in chat since the site flags it.  I'll be sure to congratulate you if I DON'T see a flame next time.

I think your approach is exactly the right one, ignore those that ask and if you choose, help those that don't.

Of course that leads to another new beg I've noticed, the "pity beg variant" XXX why are you ignoring me, or XXX has me on ignore.

I would add the Currios Beg: "Any tips?" - they just fall from the sky, out of the blue and have this pondering on their mind xD

And a Slam-The-Depo-Addy-Directly-On-Chat beg, which is plain stupid, cause you are compromising safety of your account that way and gaining (at least) 48 hour mute at the same time O.o

7 hours ago, Bojana said:

I would add the Currios Beg: "Any tips?" - they just fall from the sky, out of the blue and have this pondering on their mind xD

And a Slam-The-Depo-Addy-Directly-On-Chat beg, which is plain stupid, cause you are compromising safety of your account that way and gaining (at least) 48 hour mute at the same time O.o

Thanks Bojana!  These are two additional good ones.  I should have remembered the "just spam address in chat" beg.  I can't believe that one has ever worked! :o)

I just discovered a new one today! 

The "blame deflection"/ hypocritical / "I hate competition" beg - While I work on finalizing the name this one was big today, consists of chatters pointing fingers at other chatters for being beggars, e.g. "So many beggars today!"