Stake Forum
Mirela

Days before 2017 ends, do you still do the New Year's resolutions?

Featured Comment

When it's already December and you remember you haven't followed through any of your past New Year's resolutions:

anigif_enhanced-23463-1422323640-6.gif.ea30a0663d76c73ced3e64fa66f7551c.gif

xD

It's that time of the year when almost everyone starts to contemplate on the previous year and perhaps already thinking about new resolutions (or how to successfully achieve the old ones :P )... Maybe, a bit too early, but I am already having a retrospection of the year that is almost behind. 

So how about you, guys, did you have and have you successfully completed that resolution list from a year ago? 

What were your resolutions, and which one was the hardest to follow through?

Have you already started to think about new ones and what would those be?

Although it's been the most interesting year, I personally have followed through only a few of the last year ones, those were - removing toxic persons from my life and starting to appreciate myself and my time more. ;) As for quitting smoking, reading more books (other than those needed for my literature exams :/ ), going to the gym, etc., well... we'll see what happens next year xD 

funny-new-year-resolutions-meme-pictures.jpg.5e862a3326464953ff0c528f30e83f87.jpg

For me the only day to take new resolutions is : today. If you want to change something and you're not willing to start right now, it's just not that important to you.

If I take the example of someone who want to lose weight. Why wait next monday, next month, the new year or their anniversary ? If she's not ready to get rid of all junk food in the fridge and start eating well right now ... it's just that junk food is more strong and more important to her. No chance she'll be able to loose weight later.

It's just a way to postpone the current weakness "oh i'm not strong enought to start there, but i'll be stronger later" ... but you'll less likely be strong enough later since just by postponing the goal you reinforce the negative pattern.

These days i'm trying to recover some decent hours for my sleep. Since weeks i was going to sleep between 6am and 9am, i need to go to bed around midnight maximum to wake up earlier and put in place others new routines. Everyday i'm going 30 min earlier to bed (currently 4am, half of the way :P)

15 hours ago, GodLoft said:

keep-your-new-year-resolution.jpg.f9521f687c377394f490075d02cf014f.jpg

I guess these are everyone's resolutions somehow. xDxD 

22 minutes ago, Kargai said:

For me the only day to take new resolutions is : today. If you want to change something and you're not willing to start right now, it's just not that important to you.

If I take the example of someone who want to lose weight. Why waiting next monday, next month, the new year or their anniversary ? If she's not ready to get rid of all junk food in the fridge and start eating well right now ... it's just that junk food is more strong and more important to her. No chance she'll be able to loose weight later.

It's just a way to postpone the current weakness "oh i'm not strong enought to start there, but i'll be stronger later" ... but you'll less likely be strong enough later since just by postponing the goal you reinforce the negative pattern.

These days i'm trying to recover some decent hours for my sleep. Since weeks i was going to sleep between 6am and 9am, i need to go to bed around midnight maximum to wake up earlier and put in place others new routines. Everyday i'm going 30 min earlier to bed (currently 4am, half of the way :P)

I agree with you, but putting a few resolutions in mind isn't a bad thing. You always should know what you want to achieve. It's not that you make the resolutions to postpone something or to do something starting with a certain date (or it shouldn't be). The "new year's resolutions" list should be more like: "I'd like to achieve as many things on this list I can and I'll give my best in order to do so starting right now" :D

For your example of losing weight. You can't lose weight right now, but the next year I want to lose x pounds. As it isn't something that can be done from now until tomorrow. Yeah, this resolution implies acting from now, but not that it's a way to postpone something. Yes, there are people that don't really get it with the resolutions list and they are just making them so they just waste a little more time instead of acting, but the true purpose of it is to order your thoughts in mind and have a "motivation" to do everything you want to achieve in an interactive way of marking everything after it's done :D

30 minutes ago, skywallkee said:

I guess these are everyone's resolutions somehow. xDxD 

I agree with you, but putting a few resolutions in mind isn't a bad thing. You always should know what you want to achieve. It's not that you make the resolutions to postpone something or to do something starting with a certain date (or it shouldn't be). The "new year's resolutions" list should be more like: "I'd like to achieve as many things on this list I can and I'll give my best in order to do so starting right now" :D

For your example of losing weight. You can't lose weight right now, but the next year I want to lose x pounds. As it isn't something that can be done from now until tomorrow. Yeah, this resolution implies acting from now, but not that it's a way to postpone something. Yes, there are people that don't really get it with the resolutions list and they are just making them so they just waste a little more time instead of acting, but the true purpose of it is to order your thoughts in mind and have a "motivation" to do everything you want to achieve in an interactive way of marking everything after it's done :D

Weight lost is not a resolution it's the result of a resolution. The resolution is "loosing weight day after day" (by eating healthy, exercices, ...), and it's start right now by cutting all the crap. Lots of people will see only the result they want but not the way to reach it, it's why they almost never keep their resolutions, because there is always a "tomorrow" to achieve the resolution, forgetting that most of the time it take time.

Everyone his opinion of course but I truly believe that writing things, organising thoughts, waiting the perfect time, ... are just ways to escape the action to take. You want something, just go for it, you know what to do in your guts. I saw people saying "ok i'll start a regime soon, this is what i need, i worked on it like hell, i'm serious" ... putting under my nose a full list of groceries and things to do. And i was like "ok but what about the chocolate, soda & co you have now in the house ?", "oh i finish them and i'll start the regime, i will not throw them in the trash, it's money and you know i wanna enjoy those last pieces of craps in my life". Results ? You get it, 3 years later they are still complaining about their weight ;)

20 hours ago, Mirela said:

Although it's been the most interesting year, I personally have followed through only a few of the last year ones, those were - removing toxic persons from my life and starting to appreciate myself and my time more. ;) As for quitting smoking, reading more books (other than those needed for my literature exams :/ ), going to the gym, etc., well... we'll see what happens next year xD 

Hope that you can quit smoking next year (or better if its in 2017 to celebrate New Year in a happier way). And @Bojana too.

Its a very very bad habit for several health issues, but what it´s worst for me is that it´s also an habit that changes personality, in a bad way.

Don´t let a piece of burning paper with some chemicals inside be more strong than your soul.

I only say this to people I care about.

And also hope that one of New Years resolutions is to start streaming....

It is more or less 3 weeks before the year ends, do you still practices New Years resolution?  I have been doing it every year and after couple of months, most are being forgotten already hah!  But at least the best resolution I have succeeded was to quit smoking, I nailed it! :)

Edited by Kargai | Post merged to avoid 2 threads

Those are some good points, @Kargai , I agree it's the best not to procrastinate, but do everything you want and can today, but sometimes there's a lack of time to do everything one wants to achieve at a given point, so I will also have to agree with @skywallkee it's also about setting goals for a certain time span of your life.  :) 

On 12/6/2017 at 12:59 AM, maverick528 said:

Hope that you can quit smoking next year (or better if its in 2017 to celebrate New Year in a happier way). And @Bojana too.

Its a very very bad habit for several health issues, but what it´s worst for me is that it´s also an habit that changes personality, in a bad way.

Don´t let a piece of burning paper with some chemicals inside be more strong than your soul.

I only say this to people I care about.

And also hope that one of New Years resolutions is to start streaming....

I hope, too, Mav, gonna be a bit hard, but I will give my best to get rid of this habit. If Bojana is up for it, maybe we can quit smoking at the same time and support each other :P

Thank you for caring, Maaav!

And streaming, if it's going to happen, as the guys informed me, it should be before New Year :P 

On 12/6/2017 at 11:08 AM, Olgar Alcoba said:

But at least the best resolution I have succeeded was to quit smoking, I nailed it! :)

Well done! I am glad you made it :) 

8 hours ago, Mirela said:

Those are some good points, @Kargai , I agree it's the best not to procrastinate, but do everything you want and can today, but sometimes there's a lack of time to do everything one wants to achieve at a given point, so I will also have to agree with @skywallkee it's also about setting goals for a certain time span of your life.  :) 

But is it a lack of time ... or an inability to make choices ? ;) I find hard to believe that someone can have so many priorities in a day that he can't do them all. Or they are not priorities. Even by starting small you can always work on your dream/goal/resolution starting right now : smoking one cig less than yesterday, eating one candy less, doing one push-up or sit-up,  etc.

But i don't want to impose my views here, the most important thing is that people take their resolution : day after day or once a year ... whatever ;) 

15 hours ago, Mirela said:

I hope, too, Mav, gonna be a bit hard, but I will give my best to get rid of this habit. If Bojana is up for it, maybe we can quit smoking at the same time and support each other :P

Thank you for caring, Maaav!

And streaming, if it's going to happen, as the guys informed me, it should be before New Year :P 

Well done! I am glad you made it :) 

I really though it would be that tough quitting, but it was too easy and I didn't know how I ended up not thinking about smoking anymore.

The resolution was to lose weight and learn new 2 programming languages , practice English , upgrade my developers team to new level of experience

All done except losing my weight:) big fail as expected.

I think you can now easily guess my only goal in the coming year ;) 

On 12/10/2017 at 11:33 AM, Kargai said:

But is it a lack of time ... or an inability to make choices ? ;) I find hard to believe that someone can have so many priorities in a day that he can't do them all. Or they are not priorities. Even by starting small you can always work on your dream/goal/resolution starting right now : smoking one cig less than yesterday, eating one candy less, doing one push-up or sit-up,  etc.

But i don't want to impose my views here, the most important thing is that people take their resolution : day after day or once a year ... whatever ;) 

Could be the inability to make choices in the sense of not being decisive enough to sort the priorities. :P But you are right, small steps in achieving the goal count, too. ;) 

On 12/12/2017 at 2:30 AM, nhoyasim101 said:

my new years resolution would ''NO WAY TO GET SCAMMED AGAIN''. xDxDxD.

Always be careful! :D

On 12/12/2017 at 2:40 AM, neoooo said:

The resolution was to lose weight and learn new 2 programming languages , practice English , upgrade my developers team to new level of experience

All done except losing my weight:) big fail as expected.

I think you can now easily guess my only goal in the coming year ;) 

Wish you luck in achieving the goal ;)

My new years resolution would be to find a way back into my daughter's life. I would also like to live life following the example from my favorite poem "Desiderata" (Desired Things) that I animated and composed music for. 

10991306_10153006438534694_8039365690029840436_n.jpg

20150415_152204.jpg

17092066_10155108125554694_919697343_n.jpg

17760662_10155212252924694_1211760306_n.jpg