To mute or not to mute, that is the question.

Featured Comment

Posted (edited)

I changed the original title "Muting: A lazy way to mod" as it was a bit click baity and also judgmental and not really in the spirit of my post below.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It seems to me that there are many ways to deal with people, who are angry or abusive or ignorant of the rules in the chat.
It's all too easy to hit the mute option and 'poof' 🌩 problem gone.

Moderators therefore never develop the skills to recognise and diffuse a potential conflict situation early on.

Muting people breeds resentment and can just exacerbate the problem for support staff or other mods to deal with later on.

I would recommend that Players who offend are moved to a Time out chat room where a moderator can talk to them
about their behaviour. If they continue to break the rules after that then maybe a mute is required.

Or sometimes two players are arguing over something which is an issue betweeen themselves.

Move them to a Time out room and let them resolve their issue out of the main chat room.

Edited by Seoulmate

On the same topic, something I saw just today and felt kinda bad for that user. 

So a supposedly new user (non VIP and haven't seen that username around), sent a message of another language on the English chat. I just quickly tagged him and told "This was the English chatroom, check for yours above ^^" hoping that he would understand. And he did and tagged back and said oh sorry, thanks. 

A few seconds later I saw his username get mute for 2 hours O.o I mean that is pretty harsh. I'm not too sure if he kept messaging in another language like that before, but from what I saw today, that was like the first message of his there. I mean many people may even accidentally type in another language on the main chat instead of the other channel they were on. 

But this person got no warning and got a mute, I honestly felt bad. I felt as if the mod saw my message and then realised someone used another language and just muted, but I was only trying to help him and the chat. :/ 

It seems like this really needs to be considered because as you said silencing someone who is ill-tempered will produce a greater problem when he goes through a period of mute, unless he realizes his mistake.  and that is indeed quite annoying in any chat room especially people who do not utilize the message feature when having their own problems.

1 hour ago, GKD09 said:

On the same topic, something I saw just today and felt kinda bad for that user. 

So a supposedly new user (non VIP and haven't seen that username around), sent a message of another language on the English chat. I just quickly tagged him and told "This was the English chatroom, check for yours above ^^" hoping that he would understand. And he did and tagged back and said oh sorry, thanks. 

A few seconds later I saw his username get mute for 2 hours O.o I mean that is pretty harsh. I'm not too sure if he kept messaging in another language like that before, but from what I saw today, that was like the first message of his there. I mean many people may even accidentally type in another language on the main chat instead of the other channel they were on. 

But this person got no warning and got a mute, I honestly felt bad. I felt as if the mod saw my message and then realised someone used another language and just muted, but I was only trying to help him and the chat. :/ 

Thats what happened to me and other stuff but yeah

I totally agree about this, they always mute mute mute and warn warn warn, they never do something creative, so maybe it's the time to turn it around your way, I like the idea of the time out room.

Yep i agree to this too , when i was new i got muted when i was on my own language channel. I do the same what the chatters do in the channel and got muted for no reason and i was the only one that got it . Never returned to that channel ever since , my life had been better at the main chat.

2 hours ago, evet said:

Worst is that some new non-vip players gets muted instantly without warning. While those new VIP players with fire gets warned like 2 to 3 times for a violation. 

YOur right bro, I particularly dislike when a mod says "the next person to say ....... gets muted" then some poor soul who just logged in and wants to join the conversation gets muted without ever knowing the reason why. That is so unfair to that player.

agree with you mate, but when there are so many people in chat and some one is saying something out of the track almost in every 3 or 4 minutes, then you cant talk to every single person for that problem, plus the conversation could take time, so i think mute is best option to make thing right that person will not repeat the same mistake again, but yeah the mute should be for few hours not long.

Mods are biased on muting people. They have the power to shut down anyone and power corrupts people.

3 hours ago, Seoulmate said:

YOur right bro, I particularly dislike when a mod says "the next person to say ....... gets muted" then some poor soul who just logged in and wants to join the conversation gets muted without ever knowing the reason why. That is so unfair to that player.

That's what happens with me 😭😭 I was betting... But suddenly I goes to chat and some dusan guy post that the next person jokes about covid 19 ... Gets some prize.  I just mistakenly jumped on that conversation made a joke and woof.... He blocked me for 240 hours yes for 10 days. 240 hours is too long...if he wanted to punish me he can warn me or can mute me for a day or 2 hours but 240 hours that's unjustified. And whats the use of Appeal if they didn't listen our point of view. I apologise but he didn't listen .

4 hours ago, Seoulmate said:

Yeah bro, I noticed that a lot. Keeps happening and it sucks. I feel bad for new players who don't even know why they got muted. For sure, they will hold grudge towards who mute them as well as stake being unfair to them. 

Mmmm... I am a victim of this thing myself and I commend you on raising this issue up! There are more issues darker than this that players would sure want to raise up how moderators "moderate" but prefer to be silent because they fear being "silenced for good"...

Keyword? Power-tripping.

1 hour ago, Dustys22 said:

Mods are biased on muting people. They have the power to shut down anyone and power corrupts people.

That's what happens with me 😭😭 I was betting... But suddenly I goes to chat and some dusan guy post that the next person jokes about covid 19 ... Gets some prize.  I just mistakenly jumped on that conversation made a joke and woof.... He blocked me for 240 hours yes for 10 days. 240 hours is too long...if he wanted to punish me he can warn me or can mute me for a day or 2 hours but 240 hours that's unjustified. And whats the use of Appeal if they didn't listen our point of view. I apologise but he didn't listen .

Yes, they will never listen to appeals unless you push it towards the support team (lower-right corner) where they will try to arbitrate (if the issue is dire) and/or at least put you at ease by reducing a mute punishment to a tolerable level.

21 hours ago, obi1wan said:

i think in chat there should be option for you to mute everyone you want, because if you don't wanna see this, its your choice not the mod's. Think about it

There is a /ignore username command so you can ignore a user in chat.

/unignore username does the opposite.

If you click on the name of a user in chat you also get an icon for doing the same things.

And in the "Settings" section of your account you can see the list of ignored users.

But it looks to me that you never used the site, you dont even have a linked Stake account so that is probably the reason you dont know this.

Happy forum farming !!

Posted (edited)

Guys, wrap it up. This is a very sensitive and taboo-ish topic. Putting things simple, I prefer to just follow the rules and when apprehended with a mute you can always do an appeal directly to a support representative and they will investigate it for you plus they will also approach the moderator. Like I said above, that is the only effective way to appeal- either you get a lenient sentence served, get barred if the reason is justifiable (other than ignorance) or luckily, get freed. 

Edited by Aiza824