Stake Forum
idonteatshit

North Korean hackers behind attacks on cryptocurrency exchanges, South Korean newspaper reports

Featured Comment

South Korea's spy agency said North Korean hackers were behind attacks on cryptocurrency exchanges this year in which some 7.6 billion won ($6.99 million) worth of cryptocurrencies were stolen, a newspaper reported on Saturday.

The cyber attacks attributed to North Korean hackers also included the leaking of personal information from 36,000 accounts from the world's busiest cryptocurrency exchange Bitthumb in June, South Korea's Chosun Ilbo reported, citing the country's National Intelligence Service (NIS).

Attacks also included the theft of cryptocurrencies from accounts at exchanges Yapizon, now called Youbit, and Coinis in April and September, it said.

The 7.6 billion won of stolen cryptocurrencies are now worth about 90 billion won ($82.7 million), Chosun Ilbo reported. It also cited the NIS as saying North Korean hackers had also demanded 6 billion won ($5.5 million) from Bitthumb in return for deleting the leaked personal information.

Another cyber attack on about 10 cryptocurrency exchanges by North Korean hackers in October, using emails containing malware, was thwarted by the Korea Internet Security Agency (KISA), the newspaper reported.

The NIS found that the malware used in hacking the exchanges was made with the same method as malware used in hacking Sony Pictures and the central bank of Bangladesh in 2014 and 2016 respectively, the Chosun Ilbo reported.

The NIS also said emails used in the attacks used North Korean internet addresses, according to the Chosun Ilbo.

The NIS declined to comment. Representatives for KISA, Bitthumb, Youbit and Coinis could not be reached for comment.

($1 = 1,087.9500 won)

Edited by idonteatshit

Nice info.........                                                                                    
but.. i think you have to cite this kind of information. If it allowed at all (im not sure tbh to just copy, paste and cite) i think that may be against rules as well

however this is 100% against the plagiarism rule. The reason is it looks like you are the one who actually wrote this article.
unless you are:                                                                                                  
 Joyce Lee and Heekyong Yang; Editing by Paul Tait                                                                                      
this post is eeking to get a comment by kargai soon... try adding a edit with the info of the original writters and see what kargai will say when he sees this. im curious too...
i can then again instead just read the rules and find out... but this is more fun! your on the line! teeeheee

gogogoogogog!

8 minutes ago, SuddenlyBroke said:

That's so bad, so not only did they steal the coins. 

They also stole the personal information. 

I wonder what info it was, just name address etc? Or also transaction details I assume. 

Well Hacker is a Hacker :) They can find the info easily :) TOO BAD

Like @idonteatshit is new here, temporary warning point was given. 

For the news ... yes it's always sad but i can't stop myself to think at what happened in the last few years. Just imagine some visionnary hacker stealing coins around the world to people who just let their balances somewhere. I spoke lately with someone who worked at MtGox, she told me that most of the accounts who joined the platform in the first months were just dormant, people just put BTC there and forgot about it. A hacker could have enter the system and just steal those BTC and maybe no one had never noticed it :P

1 minute ago, Kargai said:

Like @idonteatshit is new here, temporary warning point was given. 

For the news ... yes it's always sad but i can't stop myself to think at what happened in the last few years. Just imagine some visionnary hacker stealing coins around the world to people who just let their balances somewhere. I spoke lately with someone who worked at MtGox, she told me that most of the accounts who joined the platform in the first months were just dormant, people just put BTC there and forgot about it. A hacker could have enter the system and just steal those BTC and maybe no one had never noticed it :P

Well I dont know about it. so like how many days before the warning points was gone sir?

49 minutes ago, idonteatshit said:

South Korea's spy agency said North Korean hackers were behind attacks on cryptocurrency exchanges this year in which some 7.6 billion won ($6.99 million) worth of cryptocurrencies were stolen, a newspaper reported on Saturday.

The cyber attacks attributed to North Korean hackers also included the leaking of personal information from 36,000 accounts from the world's busiest cryptocurrency exchange Bitthumb in June, South Korea's Chosun Ilbo reported, citing the country's National Intelligence Service (NIS).

Attacks also included the theft of cryptocurrencies from accounts at exchanges Yapizon, now called Youbit, and Coinis in April and September, it said.

The 7.6 billion won of stolen cryptocurrencies are now worth about 90 billion won ($82.7 million), Chosun Ilbo reported. It also cited the NIS as saying North Korean hackers had also demanded 6 billion won ($5.5 million) from Bitthumb in return for deleting the leaked personal information.

Another cyber attack on about 10 cryptocurrency exchanges by North Korean hackers in October, using emails containing malware, was thwarted by the Korea Internet Security Agency (KISA), the newspaper reported.

The NIS found that the malware used in hacking the exchanges was made with the same method as malware used in hacking Sony Pictures and the central bank of Bangladesh in 2014 and 2016 respectively, the Chosun Ilbo reported.

The NIS also said emails used in the attacks used North Korean internet addresses, according to the Chosun Ilbo.

The NIS declined to comment. Representatives for KISA, Bitthumb, Youbit and Coinis could not be reached for comment.

($1 = 1,087.9500 won)

It's always been known that no matter how good you are, there's always a Korean/Japanese that can do it better than you. That's why many crackers are from Korea or Japan. I think that this kind of attack won't be the last one and will never stop as the law can't cover the cryptocurrency, so they won't be affected even if they were caught.

Great info!

You can never underestimate Asian hackers nowadays, they even have the guts to shutdown any bigtime companies in US ,and that was just in terms of fiat currency, but its not really impossible for this koreans to hack cryptocurrency since its just anonymous way of transactions as we all know "No system is Safe".

Not even a surprise anymore that another hacker targeted bitcoin. Is this becoming a trend now? In the hacker's perspective tho its a smart move. Hacking something that could make you rich by time... Smart smart. 

7 hours ago, SuddenlyBroke said:

haha Korean and Japanese fan I see! That's kind of a very big generalization don't you think?

Not that I don't think Korean and Japanese people are awesome

I said it more because there's full the internet with Japanese and Korean people playing piano with tongue, guitar on the back, riding horses while playing tabletenis etc. :))