Drug Vs. Gambling Addiction

Miks0887

Featured Comment

My life was managable when I was only considered a drug addict. Basically as soon as I started gambling things went downhill. Constantly staying awake for 4-5 day stretches while going to work full time, always being broke.

But the good news is I finally quit smoking because I could never afford cigarettes.

My gambling addiction has led me to do things that I would have never thought I could do, honestly... Drugs couldn't even make me feel ok with some of the things I've done to continue gambling. 

If I'm being very honest, I'm still currently in active addiction for both. I can visualize one day becoming sober from drugs and living a life without. Gambling, on the other hand... I have no idea how I'm going to be able to begin the process of  rewiring my brain... It's been such a major factor and influence in everything I do for so many years. It's been too much of a comfort for me; in my loneliest, most heartbroken days. 

I still think I can conquer it though, both of them. 

Guest kimbicat

I think gambling addiction is more frustrating. I grew up watching my mom and step dad gamble and wondering what the appeal to throwing money away was, and swearing I would never do it myself. It actually took me until I was well past 21 to do any gambling.. and now almost 40 I've really only been doing it for the past year or so, but I've watched close friends go deep into it. At least with drugs there is a Real high . I feel like with those who really are powerless to gambling addiction, they can win.. and win big .. but they always put it all right back .. that will Never make any sense to me.. I am still and always have been able to recognize a good win and when its a good idea to walk away .. i wish that was something you could teach ..... it isn't.

the post above is mine, but I wanted it be on my account, i thought i was signed in but wasn't. so, i'm just re-posting below. I hope this isn't viewed as double posting. :

I think gambling addiction is more frustrating. I grew up watching my mom and step dad gamble and wondering what the appeal to throwing money away was, and swearing I would never do it myself. It actually took me until I was well past 21 to do any gambling.. and now almost 40 I've really only been doing it for the past year or so, but I've watched close friends go deep into it. At least with drugs there is a Real high . I feel like with those who really are powerless to gambling addiction, they can win.. and win big .. but they always put it all right back .. that will Never make any sense to me.. I am still and always have been able to recognize a good win and when its a good idea to walk away .. i wish that was something you could teach ..... it isn't.

• 1 month later...

I cannot give an opinion about drugs because I have not tried them but about gambling addiction I think it can be very bad when it is not controlled, personally I bet with money that I can afford to lose, if I win well and but also and we must also try not to neglect the responsibilities that we have outside the game, the subject of the game can already be very bad if we think to make a living from this and spend money that we need to eat or pay the bills.

Addiction does not discriminate. There are a lot of addicts in this world who are addicted to 3 ,4, 5, 10 things at once. I heard Steve-O explain it well, when he said it's like three fountains of water from the same source. You can hold one of the streams down, but the other two go up. It isn't the substance, the habit, or the person to blame, it's human nature, genetics, therapy, and self control. Addicts just do what they love to do, until it becomes harmful. 

This is a very complicated question and it requires more than just a few lines to round it up but i'll try to cut it short when it comes to my opinion on this subject. Both are one of the strongest addictions on the planet earthand hard to compare but it truly depends on the level of it. I know people who use to smoke cannabis whole their life over 30 or 40 years in normal amounts and they never had problem with it and i know people who were gambling for a year only and went down all the way. Only few people can roll with their addictions without getting down to the bottom. Regardless of the drug people are using certain amount of cash is always enough for them to go through the day but gamble doesnt have that limit. So basically you can lose so much more money gambling than doing drugs its a fact, but gambling doesnt affect your looks or health the same way drugs do. just like this comment above guy saying "i want gambling but no drugs, i dont want my life to go down" thats such BS. Just try to avoid any addictions guys but if you have them keep in mind, only few out there will manage to roll all the way with it and live to tell the story.

Edited by militsa

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.