Stake Forum
badger

The "right" way to play blackjack

Featured Comment

I was most fortunate to have a dealer that taught me the basic Blackjack rules the first time I sat at a table. The "right" way to play is very easy to learn. If I were more savvy, I would post a link to any of the sites that you can find one of those little cards they have at Blackjack tables for new players, but I'm not. 

Every play you make in blackjack is easily determined by what the dealers card is you can see.

Always assume and play each hand as if the dealer has a 10 underneath. Always. 

This is how you know whether to hit or stay:

If the dealers up card is a 7,8,9,10, face card, or ace, you hit.

If the dealers up card is a 3,4,5, or 6, you stay. The dealer must hit soft 16. These are the bust cards.

2s are kind of dangerous because there are a lot of hands the dealer can make. i stay against them, but only because i know the dealer has to hit.

Aces are scary too, but hit against aces, always.

The rules for splitting and doubling are about the same, don't double when the dealer is showing a 7,8,9,10, face, or ace. 

I happily double down with 9, or if I'm feeling extra spry, ill double down on 8 if the dealer is showing a 6. But always double dow when you have 10 or 11 when the dealer is showing a 3,4,5, or 6.

There are so many little tricks and ways to play and every hand is different. 

Oh, if you feel the need to take insurance, only insure good hands like 19 or better. Yes, I was the idiot trying to buy insurance with 14. The dealer told me no.

And don't split 20, duh. No need to wreck a perfectly good hand. 

Anyway, find a card with the basic rules online, or scrawl 7,8,9,10,face,ace hit and 3,4,5,6 stay, split, double on a piece of paper. Thats all you really need to know. 

If you are currently playing and have no clue what you are doing, this will change your game completely. Good Luck!

its not about if it works or luck. this is simply the correct way to play based on knowing a thing or two about a thing or two. and odds and basic gambling math. this is how to play, all the time. i didnt come up with this. read anything anywhere on blackjack strategy, this is how it will tell you to play. :)

53 minutes ago, badger said:

its not about if it works or luck. this is simply the correct way to play based on knowing a thing or two about a thing or two. and odds and basic gambling math. this is how to play, all the time. i didnt come up with this. read anything anywhere on blackjack strategy, this is how it will tell you to play. :)

Just realize it's badger who posted this lol! sorry for calling you 'man'. 

I'm not really a fan of blackjack, but I agree on "don't double when the dealer shows 7,8,9, or 10".

Thanks once again for posting this, I agree that is the best way to play it. 

15 hours ago, badger said:

This is the cool thing about Blackjack, it has mathematical "truth."  It's been modeled what you should do, it's called blackjack basic strategy and Badger's done a great summary of it.

I don't always follow it, but it is a nice thing to have!

Good Luck!

I didn't play BJ that much. But I just busted on BJ  an hour ago,  didn't realized dealer card, I found so many 12 on my hand and I hit it everytime and mostly got 10 and bust my cards. And found this thread. Thanks for sharing, 

Blackjack is pure luck I would say. And I seem pretty lucky so I usually win when I play blackjack. I sometimes even hit when I have 15 or something dumb shit and win. Blackjack is my most favourite game and then dice.

On 18/01/2018 at 10:16 AM, badger said:

I was most fortunate to have a dealer that taught me the basic Blackjack rules the first time I sat at a table. The "right" way to play is very easy to learn. If I were more savvy, I would post a link to any of the sites that you can find one of those little cards they have at Blackjack tables for new players, but I'm not. 

Every play you make in blackjack is easily determined by what the dealers card is you can see.

If the dealers up card is a 3,4,5, or 6, you stay. The dealer must hit soft 16. These are the bust cards.

2s are kind of dangerous because there are a lot of hands the dealer can make. i stay against them, but only because i know the dealer has to hit.

The rules for splitting and doubling are about the same, don't double when the dealer is showing a 7,8,9,10, face, or ace. 

I happily double down with 9, or if I'm feeling extra spry, ill double down on 8 if the dealer is showing a 6. But always double dow when you have 10 or 11 when the dealer is showing a 3,4,5, or 6.

Oh, if you feel the need to take insurance, only insure good hands like 19 or better. Yes, I was the idiot trying to buy insurance with 14. The dealer told me no.

Anyway, find a card with the basic rules online, or scrawl 7,8,9,10,face,ace hit and 3,4,5,6 stay, split, double on a piece of paper. Thats all you really need to know. 

If you are currently playing and have no clue what you are doing, this will change your game completely. Good Luck!

Thank you @badger for this detailed guide of blackjack..

It helped me a lot to learn the basics. Though I don't play blackjack that much, but it's good to know what is this game about and how to play it..

Good luck girl..

Edited by akki785

On 1/18/2018 at 12:46 PM, badger said:

this will be very helpful...need more strategy to profit...thank for this one dude