Stake Forum
RGBKey

Chrome Extension to automatically verify bets

Featured Comment

The following is copied from a post I made on bitcointalk.org as I'd like to get the opinions of the users that browse here as well

I've been thinking, one of the biggest problems with provable fairness is how often people simply don't use it. This is often because of the extra steps required to make sure everything is fair. As I'm sure a lot of you know by now, I like to make sure that everybody has the best experience possible. What if we had a userscript, or chrome extension that automatically did this for us?

One of the biggest holes in nearly every provably fair scheme is the hash of the server seed. Extremely often, it's just not written down/copied anywhere. Most sites don't show you the hash until you open a window or go to a page that displays it. What then? If the site knows that you haven't looked at the hash, then you wouldn't be able to tell whether or not the server seed they revealed to you was the one they were using. Now of course, this isn't perfect, as the site would have no way to guarantee that you won't look at the server seed hash halfway through playing, but it's still possible. The point of provable fairness is to remove all doubt that the site could be altering results.

I propose a chrome extension to do this, as I believe it has the lowest "cost of entry". All a user has to do is simply click the install button and they're protected. A userscript requires too much technical knowledge for most people to set up, although it could work cross-browser. I believe that anybody privacy-conscious enough to use other browsers is also smart enough to copy down their server seed hash.

The extension could be able to do the following, all behind-the-scenes:

• Record new server seed hashes as they are generated, to prevent sites from changing them later and storing them securely in chrome.storage where the website and other extensions can't touch them. (This has the added benefit of being able to sync between different chrome browsers).
  • Instantaneously verify all bets made in the past as soon as a new seed is in use and the previous one revealed.
  • (Fluff) Have a counter of all bets made by the user that have been verified when you click on the extension icon

Of course, the potential for a malignant extension here is huge. A bad extension that has access to the page would be able to withdraw a user's entire balance to an attacker's address. Such an extension would have to be open-source so that anybody could examine it and make sure nothing bad is going on behind-the-scenes.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts about this, as well as hearing from anybody that doesn't use chrome as their browser so I can get a handle on how many people would be affected before I think about working on this. The great thing about a chrome extension is that it could support any number of websites, without the user needing to add additional extensions or such.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, RGBKey said:

• Instantaneously verify all bets made in the past as soon as a new seed is in use and the previous one revealed.

people make more than 10k+ bets with the same seed , this will take alot to verify all i think

Edited by Geimond

22 minutes ago, Geimond said:

people make more than 10k+ bets with the same seed , this will take alot to verify all i think

3 minutes ago, toohoola said:

Verification is fast, no need to worry about speed issues, especially on todays hardware.

Worst case scenario is someone's browser locks up for a second or two while the calculations are made. Nothing that can't be solved with a short message and a loading spinner.

Just now, RGBKey said:

Worst case scenario is someone's browser locks up for a second or two while the calculations are made. Nothing that can't be solved with a short message and a loading spinner.

is thats useful for somebody, then thats a great idea, keep it up 

I think it is not bad idea, because there are still people that have doubts about provable fairness in PD or in Stake; for me there are no such doubts.

Anyway, even with this plugin there are people that will keep saying that they win when they bet small but they lose when the bet big, that PD or Stake "changes" the outcome according to the amount, or the multiplier, or whatever.

Because there are math concepts that you must fully understand to really understand provably fair, to some people this will always be black magic...

Edited by maverick528

I've been making some slow but sure progress on this. The first site supported will be Primedice because Stake simply has too many games to go and do all at once without having some sort of framework down. I'll share progress as it happens.

3 hours ago, Edward said:

Is this till happening @RGBKey? Can't wait for it if so

I'm afraid not. While it was a good idea, I lacked the skill to implement it. On top of that, my personal life has become incredibly stressful so I've had less and less time for these kinds of things. Apologies for any let downs, I'll be locking this thread now.