Stake Forum
Kargai

Would you wear the same outfit every single day?

Featured Comment

Steve Jobs did it, Mark Zuckerberg do it and in some extend Barack Obama or Albert Einstein did it too.

Their claim is that it’s a way to avoid decision fatigue. We have a certain amount of decisionnal power each day and avoiding to think what to wear is a way to save some of this power for more important things in the day, so they decided to cut some by not thinking about how to dress.

If you were 100% sure it’s indeed the case, would you wear the same thing every day ? (note: not one single set, you’ll have 7 times the same outfit each for one day of the week ^^)

I think its a lot easier for a man to say yes to this than to a woman.

In modern society it is taked as granted that women must be more concerned about their outfit than (most) men. (not including @Etude ).

It is interesting to notice than in almost all animal species other than man, the male is the one that must be "seductive" and "center of attention"....

6 hours ago, maverick528 said:

In modern society it is taked as granted that women must be more concerned about their outfit than (most) men. (not including @Etude ).

It is interesting to notice than in almost all animal species other than man, the male is the one that must be "seductive" and "center of attention"....

i have noticed this has changed alot recently, men take alot of care of there clothes like you see them spending $1000s on jackets (gucci, supreme so on) and $1000s on shoes

Very interesting. But I think it really depends if you are comfortable of what you are wearing. If you are not comfortable of what you wear yesterday and you wear it today then you will be thinking and be conscious on what you look. I'm doing it sometimes but only when I'm with my friends. @maverick528 is right girl loves to be fashionable and it's not fashion when you are wearing the same clothes in two consecutive days. :) 

9 hours ago, maverick528 said:

Exactly ! Hehe same shirts like simon cowell wear is not that noticeable compared to women wearing the same dress over and over again :D

But yeah, there is no crime on wearing same clothings evryday :)

53 minutes ago, ravenyvolle2 said:

Exactly ! Hehe same shirts like simon cowell wear is not that noticeable compared to women wearing the same dress over and over again :D

But yeah, there is no crime on wearing same clothings evryday :)

It will happen when you are wearing uniforms that are required in a company or schools. But I think it's not the same shirt but with the same design. hahaha. 

11 hours ago, Kargai said:

Their claim is that it’s a way to avoid decision fatigue.

This part bugs me the most, I mean, how hard and how exhausting can it be to make a simple decision whether to wear blue or green T-shirt today :P Imo, this is really a lazy excuse, and I do find clothes a way to express yourself, colors too, it immensely affects my mood whether I am wearing red, green or brown on a specific day :) Clothes is our way of expression, among others, expression of style too, speaks without words :P, all the rest are excuses!!! ;) 

(Off the topic, but still kinda connected - Daniel Radcliffe, whom most of us know as Harry Potter, used to wear the same clothes for months when going out in public, to prevent the persistent paparazzi following him to get any valuable shot of him, cause he always appeared to be wearing the same thing, so the shots were worthless xD) - only in this case I can understand the need to play* a bit with the same outfit idea 😜

image.png

10 hours ago, Bojana said:

This part bugs me the most, I mean, how hard and how exhausting can it be to make a simple decision whether to wear blue or green T-shirt today :P Imo, this is really a lazy excuse, and I do find clothes a way to express yourself, colors too, it immensely affects my mood whether I am wearing red, green or brown on a specific day :) Clothes is our way of expression, among others, expression of style too, speaks without words :P, all the rest are excuses!!! ;) 

I knew you will react to this 😛

But my guess is that it really can impact for some people. I read some books about scientific studies who showed that our brain only have a small amount of "clear" decisions he can make each day, and when we start to make bad choices it's because we are not able to think clearly enough, taking all the implications in count, less able to see the long term vision of the decision, etc. That's why we tend to make more bad choices in the evening compare to the morning (being less able to say no to alcohol, to slept with someone we don't really like, doing some impulsive purchase, ...) and why we have the tendency to "loose track" of our schedules/plans more we dive in the day.

When you dress in auto-pilot without even noticing what you put on you, you save some decisionnal power for later. Because when you dress you think at multiple think probably without even noticing them : if you choose that color of shirt you need that underwear or that pants, and to go with that pant you will choose those type of shoes, than those accessories, that lipstick color to match it and so on so on. Just choosing your outfit can lead to 10-15 other decisions.

I don't know if it's true or not but that's interesting enough to digg deeperinto it when i'll have more time ;) 

11 hours ago, Bojana said:

Please dont stop doing it @Bojana !

I must say that depression is also one reason to stop caring about looks, not only lazyness.....

9 hours ago, Kargai said:

I knew you will react to this 😛

But my guess is that it really can impact for some people. I read some books about scientific studies who showed that our brain only have a small amount of "clear" decisions he can make each day, and when we start to make bad choices it's because we are not able to think clearly enough, taking all the implications in count, less able to see the long term vision of the decision, etc. That's why we tend to make more bad choices in the evening compare to the morning (being less able to say no to alcohol,, doing some impulsive purchase, ...) and why we have the tendency to "loose track" of our schedules/plans more we dive in the day.

When you dress in auto-pilot without even noticing what you put on you, you save some decisionnal power for later. Because when you dress you think at multiple think probably without even noticing them : if you choose that color of shirt you need that underwear or that pants, and to go with that pant you will choose those type of shoes, than those accessories, that lipstick color to match it and so on so on. Just choosing your outfit can lead to 10-15 other decisions.

I don't know if it's true or not but that's interesting enough to digg deeperinto it when i'll have more time ;) 

Yes, I understood it completely, still I don't find it draining, in a way, to pick an outfit, items in the supermarket, and/or flavor of the ice-cream to have (okay, I'm lying about the ice-cream cause I usually want them all! 😋)... don't see how making those, let's call them, minor* decision, can ever affect me, lol, " to slept with someone we don't really like" (had to use this example, it was the most drastic one!), since those are some MAJOR calls in life.. or was I just raised that way, not to jump into stuff, but think things through before making really important calls :D 

So in a way, I understand your point about the decision capacity, I mean, there has to be something to it if Steve Jobs among others had believed in it, and I'm still trying to make a difference between something I see as automated response (this color matches this one; I'll wear a scarf today; pistachio and stracciatella it is, lol), and stuff like - I'm gonna get wasted tonight xD 

So, basically, not contradicting, we're having a constructive discussion :D 

Also, sometimes choices are forced upon you, and you have to pick despite not wanting to... well, this one can be really (emotionally) draining! Are you implying we should save ourselves and our decision power for those solely? :) 

Posting the excerpt from the movie I really love (Mr. Nobody) and it is all about making the right choice, entire movie is about that really: 

What about denying to make choices altogether? ;) 

image.png

Please dont stop doing it @Bojana !

Mave, this sounded almost sexual, did you... wait for it... chose it... to sound like that? :D :P 

I must say that depression is also one reason to stop caring about looks, not only lazyness.....

I agree with this point, and intelligent people are more prone to fail to it... I have seen examples of this in my life, when a person is not only able to pick items of clothes due to the chronic depression and not caring, but refusing to take a shower and take care of own health in general :/ 

Had to search straciatella in Google.

Nice.

Every day is an opportunity to learn a bit more.

That movie looks very interesting @Bojana , will try to watch it.

I´ve always found an interesting topic the way decision making shapes your future, because sometimes it´s obvious you are making an important choice that will change your life, but the most amazing thing is that sometimes very very small choices have later gigantic consequences....

7 minutes ago, maverick528 said:

Had to search straciatella in Google.

I had to google the spelling of it too, lol 🍨

10 minutes ago, maverick528 said:

That movie looks very interesting @Bojana , will try to watch it.

Definitely my warm recommendation, I have seen it a few times, it is so interesting and futuristic :D Shows alternative realities of a guy who could not make choices, so his personality ended up being split, and you still, by the end of the movie, do not know if any of it actually happened or not, the entire time you're trying to pick up which one is happening for real :) Amazing movie!

13 minutes ago, maverick528 said:

I´ve always found an interesting topic the way decision making shapes your future, because sometimes it´s obvious you are making an important choice that will change your life, but the most amazing thing is that sometimes very very small choices have later gigantic consequences....

Yes, the so called butterfly effect ;) It is in the movie as well :D

You might not want to go to that party, but your friends persuade you anyway... bam! Meeting the love of your life there! Yeah, it can be quite major! :$

Small piece of advice - harveydent, v. that ish*: 😎

image.png

On 5/27/2018 at 2:02 AM, Bojana said:

So in a way, I understand your point about the decision capacity, I mean, there has to be something to it if Steve Jobs among others had believed in it, and I'm still trying to make a difference between something I see as automated response (this color matches this one; I'll wear a scarf today; pistachio and stracciatella it is, lol), and stuff like - I'm gonna get wasted tonight xD 

Steve Jobs is no better than you, me or someone else about those issues or questions, he did some stupid things about his well-being & co (like only eating apple as only food for a long period of time, taking some drugs, ...) but yes the fact that multiple successfull people talk about it is enough to take a look at it ;)

For the automated responses I believe it's just automatic because we don't really digg to see where it come from. Like for example people usually eat fish on friday in France, it's mostly because old religious reasons. So lot's of people don't think about when to eat fish, they just do it on friday automatically. But from a scientific point of view you can eat fish any day. Like people think automatically that the pink color is for girl, without questionning it (but pink was "created" for males back in the mediaval days, it was a soft red for childs because red was the color of man, the blood they spilled when they fought. Blue was for girls, it was the purity etc).

So each of us have a automatic pattern that our parents, family, society have ingrain in our minds since the young age. And it's definitely less "stressful" for the brain because he's use to those, so he know what the outcome is : no need to think too much about this or that because he know how you'll look with them, how people react to the association, etc. It's a way to save some "brain power".

Also, sometimes choices are forced upon you, and you have to pick despite not wanting to... well, this one can be really (emotionally) draining! Are you implying we should save ourselves and our decision power for those solely?  

What they say is that if you have less decision fatigue you are more able to respond well to a choice who is forced upon you. You have more clarity about what's really important and you can choose with a better knowledge about the choice, the implication, the long term, etc so your choice is by default easier to make. What's make choices difficult at the first place is the fact you don't know what will happen after doing it. And at the very least, if you are not in a "fight or flight" mode you have better chance to choose according to your core values and don't regret it afterwards. You make the choice, you know why and after that ... even if the choice is bad one, at the end of the day you didn't know better at that time.

What about denying to make choices altogether?  

It's also a choice. But that's choosing to stay stuck between everything. If you know yourself enough you have probably some core values you want to represent, live by, ... and starting with that you can always make that choice according to them. People just don't spend enough time trying to know themselves to make those choices. It's like your last pic : the answer you receive when you toss the coin is your inner self expressing what your value is, it's instinctive. But you will just don't know why you respond in that way, people will just say thing like "i knew it in my guts". But someone else who know himself will not even have to toss the coin, he will choose according of his moral values.

On 5/27/2018 at 2:11 AM, maverick528 said:

That's the compounding effect, it's like in finance. A very small decision on the short term can have a tremendous effect on the long term. That's what trick most of the people, they want big results quickly in their lives. 

I have a friend who wanted to loose at least 30kg and she had tried diet after diet for years. She was pleased when she dropped 5kg but at the end of the day she was back to her initial weight because that wasn't a way to eat for her on the long term. I just told her to drop 1 single cookie a day on her usual diet. It was easy. Than the next month I advise her to replace her 1 liter of organic orange juice a day by some clean water with few slices of orange or lemon in it. She still had the taste but not the sugar that are available in the pure juice. After few months she dropped the same 5kg and wasn't even noticing that she changed her diet.

After dropping 10 kg she felt lighter and confident enough to start jogging a little, and month after month she dropped 35kg in total (and will probably dropp few more in the next months), she now run half marathon, she's socially way more active than before (she was ashamed of her body), she met new people and have find a new job from one of those people, etc. So from just a cookie and a orange juice she flipped totally her life, they were just the entry point of small changes here and there. That's really something amazing to see :)

On 5/29/2018 at 1:06 AM, Kargai said:

Steve Jobs is no better than you, me or someone else about those issues or questions, he did some stupid things about his well-being & co (like only eating apple as only food for a long period of time, taking some drugs, ...) but yes the fact that multiple successfull people talk about it is enough to take a look at it ;)

Oh, no, I'm not saying he is in any way better* than any of us, just probably a person who was more faced with some crazy decision-making during his lifetime ;) 

For the automated responses I believe it's just automatic because we don't really digg to see where it come from. Like for example people usually eat fish on friday in France, it's mostly because old religious reasons. So lot's of people don't think about when to eat fish, they just do it on friday automatically. But from a scientific point of view you can eat fish any day. Like people think automatically that the pink color is for girl, without questionning it (but pink was "created" for males back in the mediaval days, it was a soft red for childs because red was the color of man, the blood they spilled when they fought. Blue was for girls, it was the purity etc).

Interesting info on the color, I actually never thought of this, I just know high-heels were 1st invented for men :) 

It's also a choice. But that's choosing to stay stuck between everything. If you know yourself enough you have probably some core values you want to represent, live by, ... and starting with that you can always make that choice according to them. People just don't spend enough time trying to know themselves to make those choices. It's like your last pic : the answer you receive when you toss the coin is your inner self expressing what your value is, it's instinctive. But you will just don't know why you respond in that way, people will just say thing like "i knew it in my guts". But someone else who know himself will not even have to toss the coin, he will choose according of his moral values.

I kinda meant this as not deciding but going with the flow in your life, completely denying to have the control over the decision-making process :)

Yes, ofcourse it will help me  in saving a lot of time but at the same time i won't wear because same output at every place would be a bit awkward like  you go to a party where only you are wearing a t-shirt while the rest of them are wearing nice suit .

well i wouldnt mind to wear same clothing everyday ( not the same thing dirty but same clean )  it is easier when you do  a  dificult work and needs to  wear some comfortable clothing  

i actually do it. but just a bit. i just wear tshirt and jeans everyday. at work. to the mall. groceries. eating out. 😂 does that count? 

but the same color everyday? still have to think about it. 😛